Skip navigation

1980 1.6 GTI - Unintentional Project

Back to the top
So here is my project page for my 1980 1.6 GTI totally standard except for some seriously low and hard coil overs (soon to be wound up a little.)

I have had this car for about a year and thinking it needed pain when I brought it was otherwise convinced nothing else to do. However my inner 20 year old soon reappeared (22 years after its first appearance) telling me to buy bits. So it is now in the spray booth today and will be back with me in a week or two for rebuild.

This is not a crazy project yet but one that had suddenly gone from owning a perfectly useful GTI to now having a little money pit that somehow makes me smile with every invoice. IMG_0785.JPG IMG_0806.JPG

Back to the top
This was minx having someone other than my hands all over her. And I am having to pay for the privilege.

Sorry they were really quick snaps while rushing past so come out a little blured

IMG_0944.JPG IMG_0945.JPG FullSizeRender.jpg

Back to the top

Will look great when it's back from paint. It's amazing how quickly a car turns into a full on resto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Indeed. Not too bad really only needed 2 rear arches and a bit of welding on the inner sil /drivers footwell. Be ready for the agm though.

Back to the top
Roof Lining Box has been opened :o

So I was/am pooing my pants about this job… First one I need to do next week when it is back from the painters is fit a new roof lining. In some earlier chats members mention 8 hours to complete….

So have Newton Commercial kit which by the looks of it is excellent better than expected with really useful instruction and tips. Having read through it and transferred my tension wires over last night (on the living room floor  where else) then I am gaining some confidence.

Will let you all know how I get on with it and some picture if it does not make me swear, cry or simply rip it up and send it to the pro's

Hoping can get the main piece in in about 2 hours, then A pillars 30 minutes hahaha I hear you say as i want to put the front Screen in on the same day. If time then fit B and C post covers to allow the rear quarter fitment. All depends on kids, wife and general world leaving me alone long enough to concentrate and get a good run at it.

Back to the top

Good luck and keep us posted on how you get on with it. It's probably not that bad but it is one job I wouldn't look forward to  

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Some more prep pictures  IMG_0977.JPG IMG_0978.JPG IMG_0979.JPG IMG_0980.JPG IMG_0981.JPG IMG_0982.JPG

Back to the top
Today's stats IMG_0964.JPG IMG_0965.JPG IMG_0966.JPG IMG_0967.JPG IMG_0968.JPG IMG_0969.JPG IMG_0970.JPG IMG_0971.JPG IMG_0972.JPG IMG_0973.JPG IMG_0974.JPG

Back to the top
Nice paint  :cool:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Excited to get her back rebuilt and not is due. Any one know best way round to do this bit. Need to fit the head liner as mentioned above. Do I fit the interior fist carpet etc so that I can add the seal trim as I go and ensure it is held in place more evenly or fit the lining first using the bits of trim clips supplied and  then fit the rest afterwards. Or is it a case of fitting the liner door and boot seals etc letting it go off and the removing all seals to fit interior before refitting seals. . My little mind is spinning on what way to attack this. Confident I can get a good finish so long as I can get it to stick solidly all round the edges with no creases when I apply seals etc.

Back to the top

Mot is due. Not "not"

Back to the top
Do the headliner first before owt else ;)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
So still a few bits left to be painted beforehand re I take it away for rebuild but some pictures added to keep everyone informed.

Great work by Ade at bodytech on the paint and have put details on an image for anyone that is interested in getting help with theirs.

IMG_1128.JPG IMG_1129.JPG IMG_1130.JPG IMG_1131.JPG IMG_1132.JPG IMG_1133.JPG IMG_1134.JPG IMG_1135.JPG IMG_1136.JPG IMG_1137.JPG IMG_1138.JPG IMG_1139.JPG

Back to the top
So decided to have the numbers and other external plastics refinished in a grain type paint. Pleased with the result and only cost £100 while getting the rest painted. 

Fitted roof lining last night still a bit to do but more on that later when I take some pictures. 

IMG_1166.JPG IMG_1167.JPG IMG_1168.JPG IMG_1169.JPG IMG_1170.JPG

Back to the top
IMG_1176.JPG IMG_1177.JPG IMG_1178.JPG IMG_1179.JPG IMG_1180.JPG IMG_1181.JPG IMG_1182.JPG IMG_1183.JPG IMG_1184.JPG IMG_1185.JPG Headlining Being Fitted

So grew a set yesterday and started the head liner…… Much more pleasurable job than I could ever of thought. This is still not finished but good enough point to share and let others thinking of doing the same gain some confidence. - For the record I have little patience and quite short tempered when things go wrong on the car, have been know to rip parts of in frustration to only end up having to spend a small fortune on hunting a replacement….

Yesterday evening from about 6PM to 8.30PM I manged to fit the main roof lining, A pillar trim parts and the front screen.
Today I have taken 2 hours out and fitted C pillar and B pillar trim on one side plus one rear qtr window.
In theory only about 2 hours to go on this job. It is not perfect but I am really pleased with the results

Tips;

Use spray glue, but mask the car off - I now have to spend some time degreasing and removing old adhesive when i am finished
I left my lining in sun - 25 Deg C yesterday before fitting it, makes it softer to stretch.
Main lining is easier than the pillar fittings.
Fit A pillar, then C pillar then B Pillar as after A you can fit the screen to lock it in place, B pillar fits over the C pillar trim to give a good finish.
Rear Qtr glass was harder to fit than the screen.
Have a sharp blade, scissors, small electrical screw driver and big blunt screw driver.

Small Screw driver can be used to pick the window seals over the trim as you fit them. Big screw driver can push the fabric on the a pillar between the car and the dash. I left a little extra (3~5MM) when trimming this piece (by accident on the first side) and as i pushed it down it flicked under the dash happy days.

Anyway some photos. IMG_1175.JPG

Back to the top
Nice job  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

So today I fitted the decals to the tailgate ready to fit the last lice of glass. Picture of it sat on the drive earlier looking a little more together. Will try and get the rear end completely built tomorrow.

Back to the top

Back window fitted   Thank the lord now just nuts and bolts for a bit.

Back to the top

Tips on fitting tail gate decals.
Fitted the bottom first pealing the backing of from underneath as went. This was not easy. Decided to do the other differently so just stuck a corner down and pealed the whole back off and placed it freehand much better line and finish to it. Also much fast free hand. To put it simply be brave when doing it as being too cautious as it leads to mistakes. Good luck to anyone who does this it is not as bad as you think.

Back to the top

Hey all it has been a while since I have done an update and had loads of time from home between work and some trips. Anyhow managed a few jobs which include fitting the seat belts all round, wired in the rear lights complete with a pair of additional earths on them. Front wipers fitted and new washer jet hose. Rear washer bottle and new hose. Top side stripes some new number plates. Fitted the side trims. Job list is wire in front inner lights, fire both door cards and bits, fit the carpet in fully on the front, both door seals, drivers door mirror when I find the screws, fit the lower dash parts, fit rear wiper and washer jet (after mot just in case). Fit sun visors, fit grab handles, interior light, new reversing lamp bulb and number plate bulbs, duck bill, lower stripes, arch spats. Some new pictures below. Have to get mot done next week so ensure I can make the agm for the Sunday.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.