Skip navigation

EARLY GTI RESTO PROJECT

Back to the top

Latest project......

It’s taken me over 3 months of negotiation but finally secured this little garage find today. Registered in London in September 1977, this one owner from new “personal export” GTI is one of the oldest registered GTIs on UK shores.Having been off the road for 22 years it will be getting a full restoration by me over the next year or so but It’s first outing before a spanner is turned is to the Practical Classics-restoration show in March at the NEC where it is being exhibited in the “Barn Find” section of the show.

IMG_2732.JPG

IMG_2737.JPG

IMG_3154.JPG

IMG_3062.JPG

IMG_3152.JPG

Last edit: by Yomp

Back to the top
Congrats, and its yours to do as you wish but as per my facebook comment I'd like to see some old Golfs that, errr, look like old Golfs before they are all nut-and-bolt-windows-out restored to better than new condition or maxi-p'd with 20v 350hp engines, 21 inch alloys and purple flipflop paint.

Esp this one as it looks a good enough base to be thoroughly overhauled to MOT standard rather than full on restored.

Good luck with what ever you do it

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
I couldn't agree more with Early-1800 - there's just way too many mk1s styled to bits with anodized alu, carbon fibered interior and other silly stuff.. Old scewl originality never goes out of style, especially not in a mk1 GTI :cool:Anyway congrats on your find and best of luck. Looking forward to see more of it! :thumbs:

Last edit: by goldie_88

Early 77 year model Golf. 4-Door

Back to the top
That's a proper find that Yomp!!  Congratulations and it's good to know after 22 years it's getting treated properly and put back on the road.  Like you say itll take a long time but well done bud.

Back to the top
very nice find indeed. Clean OEM early mk1 is the way to go and Red is the best classic version I think.

Madone with the two Cabs 82 (UK RHD) and 85 (US LHD) (92 sold)

Back to the top
Nice find Graham,

Looking forward to a full resto project :)

Back to the top

Early-1800 said

Congrats, and its yours to do as you wish but as per my facebook comment I'd like to see some old Golfs that, errr, look like old Golfs before they are all nut-and-bolt-windows-out restored to better than new condition or maxi-p'd with 20v 350hp engines, 21 inch alloys and purple flipflop paint.

Esp this one as it looks a good enough base to be thoroughly overhauled to MOT standard rather than full on restored.

Good luck with what ever you do it

I get your point but this is too far gone just to "tidy". The electrics aren't great nor is some of the body.  It'd leak like a sieve if it was left out in the rain so then it'd have condensation problems and then the mold would set in. There's plenty other golfs that shouldn't be spent on. This  car isn't really one of them..  

Back to the top

Spudfingers said

That's a proper find that Yomp!!  Congratulations and it's good to know after 22 years it's getting treated properly and put back on the road.  Like you say itll take a long time but well done bud.
Christ there's a name from the past!  The kids must have grown up and left home?!

Back to the top

goldie_88 said

I couldn't agree more with Early-1800 - there's just way too many mk1s styled to bits with anodized alu, carbon fibered interior and other silly stuff.. Old scewl originality never goes out of style, especially not in a mk1 GTI :cool:Anyway congrats on your find and best of luck. Looking forward to see more of it! :thumbs:

I'm not into the modified stuff. This will be going back to OEM.

Back to the top
Fantastic find. I have owned a '79 Mars red for over 30 years but it's currently in REALLY bad shape having spent the last 20+ years either sitting in my garden or, as it is now, in a garage waiting for me to get my act together…

Back to the top

Yomp said

Spudfingers said

Christ there's a name from the past!  The kids must have grown up and left home?!

I thought that too!

Hello Spudfingers !

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Alright Graham / Ade

Kids are 6 and 4 now so getting some time back!!!  WOOOHOOOO!!!  Sometimes I do wish they'd pack their SpiderMan rucksacks, Fruit Shoots and "do one" lol.  But… apparently I have to look after them until they're adults or something…. what the hell is that about?!?

Keep remembering the Wolfsburg Germany trip.. AGMs.. great times… glad you guys are still here 👍

Graham… give you a few years then are we taking this over to Wolfsburg again?  Mk1 convoy anyone 😁👍

You guys ok?

Back to the top
Awesome find, i had exactly the same car

4 speed early Gti COA 330V

AND I AM STILL REGRETTING LETTING IT GO 20 years later  :'(

Back to the top

One seven one said

I know that feeling.  My first car was a white mk1 golf 1.3 driver… loved that car and my stomach turns thinking I sold it for something newer ☹

Back to the top

Spudfingers said

I know that feeling.  My first car was a white mk1 golf 1.3 driver… loved that car and my stomach turns thinking I sold it for something newer ☹

I think most (old boys) on here would have that feeling - if only I'd kept my '75 and '79 mk1 Sciroccos, my '62 Bedford CA dormobile, my Audi Coupe Quattros, my 3 mk1 Caddys, the mk1 Mini and even my Alfa Sprint Veloce. Loved them all and although my '79 Golf Gti is in a very sorry state it makes me happy that I still have it. One day soon I will find the time…

I do also have the '85 Cabby that I've had for over 25 years. Not been on the road for at least 15 years but it could be soon. And if it could talk, the stories it would tell…

Back to the top

One seven one said

Any photos? Ill add it to the facebook register. We have a special place for "Gone but not forgotton" cars. - Assuming its dead of course??

Back to the top
Small update on this:
The rear quarter had been replaced at some point due to a coming together with a barrier. It had been porrly fitted and the inner arch was corroded. Easier to pull the whole quarter off and start again.,,,

IMG_4598.JPG

00CAB3C3-EA1D-4115-9274-734A0BF848C4.jpg

Back to the top
IMG_0366.JPG

back from dipping…..

Back to the top
Doesn't look too bad from a distance…

Back to the top

tomsdubs said

Doesn't look too bad from a distance…

I'd done the majority of welding before it went for dipping. No real surprises on its return . Just a few pinholes under where the sealer had hidden it. 
Now snagging the welding and removing dents followed by body filing before electrophoretic coating. 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.