Skip navigation

New to Forum

Back to the top
Good evening forum,

This week I bought a 1992 Clipper K570RBX which is now in the car register (46K, 3 owners, 22 VW dealer services).  She's in lovely condition and I'd like to sort out a couple of issues:

- the steering is quite heavy when moving off from a standstill, and seems to understeer when going round sharp corners at medium speed.  Is there anything that can be done about this?
- The car has a modern aerial (not the one in the photo).  Id like to fit a period match electric aerial, and period cassette or CD player modified with bluetooth.  Does anyone know if this is feasible and where to purchase such an item.

Many thanks for your help and I might see you at AG2021!

Matt
IMG_0119.jpeg

Back to the top
The steering is heavy at low speeds especially if used to a more modern power assisted car.. Assuming nothing wrong with yours these cars do understeer in my opinion..

Back to the top

abfmk1 said

The steering is heavy at low speeds especially if used to a more modern power assisted car.. Assuming nothing wrong with yours these cars do understeer in my opinion..

Thank you and I have the car back after a new gasket was fitted under the rocker cover to stop a small oil leak.  The garage owner says my shocks are in good condition so I think I might try replacing the top mounts and spacers, which it is suggested (in this forum) improves the steering.

Mat

Back to the top
If the tracking and camber angle are out it won't help with the steering also tyres make a massive difference.

If you are getting the top mounts changed I would wait till that's done as it will mess up the camber angle when the struts are removed.

Most tyre places won't be able to do the camber angle so phone around 1st to check.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

If the tracking and camber angle are out it won't help with the steering also tyres make a massive difference.

If you are getting the top mounts changed I would wait till that's done as it will mess up the camber angle when the struts are removed.

Most tyre places won't be able to do the camber angle so phone around 1st to check.

Thank you Mark that is very useful.  Are you saying I should have the tracking and camber angles adjusted before or after replacing the top mounts, or both before and after?

Matthew

Back to the top
He is saying any adjustment ie tracking  / camber should be done after the work is completed..

Back to the top
What abfmk1 said, change stuff 1st then get the car set up.

What make of tyres do you have and how old are they?

A lower strut brace is well worth as that will reduce under steer as well as new rubber bushes for the wishbones if they are the original ones.

I've just replaced my bushes and fitted a lower strut brace and the car handles much better when pushing it hard around the corners.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top

mark1gls said

What abfmk1 said, change stuff 1st then get the car set up.

What make of tyres do you have and how old are they?

A lower strut brace is well worth as that will reduce under steer as well as new rubber bushes for the wishbones if they are the original ones.

I've just replaced my bushes and fitted a lower strut brace and the car handles much better when pushing it hard around the corners.

Thank you I will check and report back the make of tyres though they look reasonably new.  Is there a best choice of tyre for a 1992 1.8 Clipper?  I will also find out if the wishbones are original although I strongly suspect they are.

Thanks, Matthew

Back to the top
There nothing wrong if the wishbones are the original ones as they are better than aftermarket ones it's the rubber bushes you may need to check.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184151902813?hash=item2ae04f0a5d:g:YfcAAOSw0XVeMZC~

Tyres I’m on Goodyear efficient grip performance and very happy with them as good grip in the dry and wet.

like these.
https://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/goodyear-efficientgrip-performance-tyres?size=185-60-14&speed=h&load=82&id=1856014GY1HP  .

You can check how old the tyres are as they should have the year of manufacture stamped onto the side wall :thumbs:

Last edit: by mark1gls

Back to the top

Back to the top

New to Forum

Worn top mount

Good top mount, only buy Febi mounts if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
It's not so much the top mount rubber stretching thats the problem with heavy steering. Inside there is a greased ball-race to allows the the strut to turn with the steering/wheels. This can get water and debris in and turn into a rusty blob which doesn't make for easy smooth steering.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Being a late Cabrolet it will have a factory 'K' front lower brace already fitted?

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

New to Forum

There’s a couple or three videos on YouTube on adding Bluetooth modules into retro radios.
Hirschman Auta 2050 electric Ariel if memory serves me correct is what I fitted to mine.
Some won’t fit because they’re long in the body.

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top

chortle said

There’s a couple or three videos on YouTube on adding Bluetooth modules into retro radios.
Hirschman Auta 2050 electric Ariel if memory serves me correct is what I fitted to mine.
Some won’t fit because they’re long in the body.

Thank you Chortle and I just found a Blaupunkt Bremen fitted with Bluetooth, plus Hischmann aerial which has been purchased.  I'll let you know how the fitting goes!

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.