Skip navigation

New Mk1 Golf Gti owner

Back to the top

1983 Y Reg

1F49D860-2B33-4BF0-95DB-7B2DDC531530.jpeg 34DE05A1-94ED-4624-844A-773FD50529B3.jpeg 4337B594-0FC0-4822-B2E5-D697E9C4BB78.jpeg 782438BA-6631-46F5-AEA7-7721A623FC61.jpeg Good evening to you all, I’ve recently purchased a Mk1 Golf GTi as a part built restoration. The shell has had a lot of work done (new panels where needed) and a full respray in Lhasa green (original to the car). The lad I’ve bought it off stripped it and did a lot of work with a lot of new parts however the interior is not finished off, the engine bay is bare with the engine stripped. I picked the head, inlet manifold and throttle housing up yesterday after being polished and ported with new valve guides and exhaust valves fitted. I’ll be looking at finding a good local company to do the bottom end for me for piece of mind. I’ll get the crank ground and balanced and new piston rings etc. My idea is to try and keep the car as original as possible. As I haven’t stripped the car no doubt I’ll be on here a lot looking to pick the wealth of knowledge for answers as to what each part is! Thanks in advance Brett

Last edit: by MR2Brett

Back to the top
Welcome Brett!

I too have an 83 tin top. I stripped it down about 25 years ago, and after a long period of doing nothing, the rebuild restarted about 10 years ago. By that time I'd forgotten where nearly everything went, but I've worked it all out so it's still fresh in my mind!
Pretty much all I have left to do is the interior and some exterior trim.
Start up a thread in the Projects section so we can keep track of how you are getting on.

J

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
hi and welcome plenty of build threads and help on here.

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshiŁ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.