Skip navigation

Hey all

Back to the top
Hi all,

Found this site while looking to get into mk1 golf ownership! Thought I would sign up as hopefully I will become a more active member!

I used to have air-cooled VW's that I loved tinkering with, fixing up and general restoration. Haven't had a project car in a while with house renovation ect but want to get back into classic cars and have always loved golfs. I had a mk2 driver as my 2nd car many years ago and it was great. I would love to get a mk1 cabriolet for my family but also as a project to fix up and get back on the road.

Anyway I thought I would say hi and see if you had any tips and pointers in what I should look for in buying a mk1 cabriolet project??
Cheers
Loz

Back to the top
Welcome along.

Sounds like you might know your way around a socket set then, from having air cooled stuff.

Golfs are exactly the same but completely different. You'll see what i mean!

Buying guides can be found at the top under 'Guides'.

Have a peruse. Check for rust, everywhere and that the top is good and doesn't leak. Your looking at 3k for a new one and around £1300 to replace all the seals!

Good luck with the hunt

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
if you do not know your way around a socket
set you will soon know your way around
it blindfolded welcome and good luck 👍

Do not know a lot but willing to help if possible

1989 Sapphire Blue Mk1 Cabriolet KR
1985 Atlas Grey Mk2 GTI 2.0 ABF

Back to the top
I have learnt to be handy with a socket set, a large hammer and a even larger hammer with my old bug :)

They buying guide is really usefull as a basis to understand better

How easy its it for a diy roof replacement generally speaking? I have seen a few projects on ebay but most have a split in the roof etc

Back to the top

Lozp said

I have learnt to be handy with a socket set, a large hammer and a even larger hammer with my old bug :)

They buying guide is really usefull as a basis to understand better

How easy its it for a diy roof replacement generally speaking? I have seen a few projects on ebay but most have a split in the roof etc

chortle  is the man to answer this one, he's the king of roofs!

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
WELCOME TO THE CLUB. Its possible to do the roof as DIY but its a SxxT or bust when you have to cut trhe hole for rear window.  Better leaving it until chortle is free to book it in for a once over.

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshi£ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.