Skip navigation

Whats it worth? 1981 MK1 GTI

Back to the top

Recent purchase

Hi all, First time posting so apologies for any errors in the posting.

I recently bought this 1981 Mk1 GTI and since mentioning it to a friend I have been inundated with messages wanting to buy it off me.
Seemingly suspicious so id like to ask, What's it worth?

Thanks
IMG_1306.jpg IMG_1313.JPG IMG_1314.JPG IMG_1315.JPG IMG_1316.JPG IMG_1317.JPG IMG_1318.JPG IMG_1319.JPG IMG_1320.JPG IMG_1321.JPG

Back to the top
How is the floor and more important the rear beam mounting points?

Mk1 Golf tin tops rust for a past time so lots of cutting and welding..

When was the engine last run and does it turn over by hand?
If it's been sat for some time DO NOT START the engine or the old fuel will kill the injection system.

Rusty unloved Mk1 GTi with not MOT history online so I guess not been on the road for a good 10 years + I would say £200 as it is.
Fully restored To a high standard and they seem to sell between £5000 to £20,000….

I'm sure others may chip in with prices as it comes down to how much someone is will to pay..

Last edit: by mark1gls

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Looks pretty complete, assuming engine is all present and correct and unmolested (are wheels correct, is it an early W reg?).

However everything you can see, body, interior, wheels, instruments are in a bad way and would need a massive amount of time and £ sourcing parts and fixing things that even if DIYing lots would cost £5-£10K on top of purchase price.

So I'd say around £1,000 as a project for someone that likes a challenge.

Or stick on ebay as a barn find and it might make many thousands more than a running MOT'd GTi !!!!

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
I bought a solid rolling shell for £900.

It had no interior and no engine and wasn't a GTI.

In todays market it's really hard to value them as the prices seem to be all over the place. Especially with the current 'issues' people seem to be paying way over the odds.

As already stated by my learned friends anywhere from £200 - £1000 seems to be the going price for a resto.

Good thing is it's all there, assuming the engine is intact. If it's a 1600 it's probably worth more to a collector.

Bad thing is the amount of rust. If even the roof is showing rust then it's probably completely gobe underneath. If it stinks of damp inside then chances are the floor has gone and all the structural parts too. if thats the case it's either going to be a labour of love and more money into it than it's worth or it's a parts car. But the parts don't look great so unless everything cleans up really well the bits won't be worth a great deal.

So head or heart?

Ebay and a 'Barn Find' advert would definitely produce the most cash.

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
What did you pay for it?

I'd say £200-1000 too, some of the parts look saveable but that still leaves a lot which would need to be replaced and they're getting more and more expensive. Also with the metalwork and respray, I'm not convinced you'd actually make money restoring it (it would be a restored car, not an original, so worth less than the best ones).

Its kinda on the edge - both condition and financially - between restorable, and a parts-only car.

Back to the top
From the photos you've shown it looks like a complete shed if I'm honest, would need a full recomission of every element.

If you paid less than £600 and have been offered more then let it go.

If you paid more than £600 then you probably shouldn't off.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but I'm just trying to weigh things up from a breaking it for parts point of view

Current rides:

2003 BMW 330d Manual Saloon Msport
1985 GTI cabriolet black edition (42k miles)
1999 Triumph Daytona 955i Post apocalyptic, rat, brat, scrambler, steam punk, cafe racer

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top
Considering my comments further. Would need to see inner wings, if they've gone prob best for parts.

If it was a few months eariler and a S1 with smaller rear lights, check/tartan seats and S1 dash would prob stand £10++K throwing at it as a project.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.