Skip navigation

Newbie S Wales

Back to the top
Hi all just picked up a mk1 1990 cabby, are there any local meets organised for the future etc?
Also after some bbs rs rims or reps, fitting a weber carb tomorrow as the standard is useless.

20191221_101509.jpg

Back to the top

Newbie S Wales

Hiya mate that looks really clean ive got a 1990 g plate cabby 1.8 carburettor version, ive had a weber 32/34dtml on for a few months now love it miles better than the pierburg 2e2, ive coupled it with a stainless steel manifold, and a stainless 76mm exhaust front to back sounds awesome and had it dynod ,it was 88bhp from the factory, its now almost 30 years old and running 103bhp ,youve got to love these little cabbies ,,,,im virtually renewing mine if you need any help check my posts or ask me regards Dean

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Newbie S Wales

Heres mine mate

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Newbie S Wales

Sorry 106bhp lol every little helps

Back to the top
Stripped it all down, previous owner siliconed the flange, I cant find one locally so will have to leave it in bits. Hoping this explains why it wont run properly,  cuts out on use of the throttle. Think I'll be replacing the plugs, leads, distributor any recommendations or pointers?

Not the best start to my ownership lol

Back to the top

Newbie S Wales

Do you mean the carburettor flange ? 2e2 to Weber?

Back to the top
Yeah that's it

Back to the top

Newbie S Wales

Ok mate I got one online ebay actually about £20 and I bought a ramair filter and adapter plate came with it .problem was it was rubbing the bulkhead so every time I accelerated it tipped the engine and carburettor backwards which pushed the filter on the bulkhead. Which in turn split the flange and let air in .and killed all my power .so I bought a ramair filter again and a blank adapter plate and turned it 90 degrees so it faces across rather than front to back .miles better no rubbing no loss of power .anything else mate let me know il help you out

Back to the top

Newbie S Wales

Here

Back to the top

Newbie S Wales

Here the process and as it was

Back to the top
Think it's just the start of my issues lol, fuel filler neck replaced, just checked the tank full of rust and so is the filter. New tank as I cant be arsed to try and get the rust out of the existing, unless anyone knows an easier way than dangling a magnet!

Back to the top
you can remove tank and flush it out...if you are in no rush for car... but pretty sure new tanks are available via mark carter at vw-classic, or crazyquiffs at cheaper rate than vw heritage.

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshi£ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top

Dobby2013 said

Think it's just the start of my issues lol, fuel filler neck replaced, just checked the tank full of rust and so is the filter. New tank as I cant be arsed to try and get the rust out of the existing, unless anyone knows an easier way than dangling a magnet!

If the tank is sound I'd try and save it, your'e having to remove it anyway if replacing. Or you could try and syphon out the muck (its not just rust, road debris will have been thrown up by the wheel and got in to the fillerneck/tank)

Also the pattern tanks are a bit rubbish compared to the originals, I had a right mare getting one to work on my GTI, eventually sourced a good second hand original.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
shopping.png

Do not know a lot but willing to help if possible

1989 Sapphire Blue Mk1 Cabriolet KR
1985 Atlas Grey Mk2 GTI 2.0 ABF

Back to the top
a must for diy

Do not know a lot but willing to help if possible

1989 Sapphire Blue Mk1 Cabriolet KR
1985 Atlas Grey Mk2 GTI 2.0 ABF

Back to the top
I've got the oil siphon,  yes would probably work on fuel tank. Or just pull fuel line off and drain into a suitable container.

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshi£ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.