Skip navigation

Very Happy Newbie Joins the MK1 World!

Back to the top
Hi Everyone!

19 years ago I spotted my first Mk1 Golf Cabriolet driving around town. My car at the time was a Mk2 Golf Driver and I adored it but the dream began for a Mk1 Clipper. Born into a Petrol headed family, I went on to marry one, so much so one of my wedding vows to him was "To indulge his mechanical adventures." Little did I know, that on our 10th Wedding Anniversary (Last week) He would return the hours spent passing tools, laying under cars etc.. with my ultimate dream car - 1989 Mk1 Karman Clipper 1.8 in White!!! To say I was bowled over is an understatement, I haven't stopped grinning!!  I'm new to the forum world but excited to learn all there is to know and meet some like minded peeps out there. 

F0CB2D8B-A74B-47E7-9E6B-B502881A4017.jpeg BC46508C-A039-4DDF-8CB7-7B95EFEDF69D.jpeg

Nice to meet you all!

Back to the top
Welcome along!

Bruised the knuckles yet?

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

Welcome so glad you got your dream car looks lovely
Regards Dean

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Big welcome!  :thumbs:  Congrats on the Cabby… looks gorgeous.

Back to the top

Welcome aboard,
Absolutely great summer fun.
Buy a windblokker it’ll kill the cabin pressure as you’re speeding along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Welcome Tiggy, your new chariot looks in great order and will no doubt bring you many smiles for miles, I know mine does!

Back to the top
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I've got so many questions to ask and so much to learn. I couldn't wait for Hubby to return from sea, so had a go at a few jobs myself (admittedly Dad was looming over my shoulder with a few top tips!).

She came with very little history, so a full service is on the cards. I got a little head start by changing out the spark plugs. I also opened up the air filter and had a look - definitely needs replacing. And then while I was at it, I took the air filter off and had a good look at the Carburettor, chuffed to find it's a Webber! 

Again, loads to learn but loving the simplicity of the engine and for all those years I've spent being a right hand man, I really enjoyed getting hands on and doing it myself! 

More of that to come, I'm sure! 

Cheers All!

E0F9F466-833A-4326-85E2-D665965289BE.jpeg       05184D65-2639-4875-ACEA-A4C5539C24AD.jpeg

Back to the top
Welcome Tiggy1989, Clean looking car you have there….
It does look like a service is well over due and if you don't know when things were last changed it's worth doing.

How many miles has the car done?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Welcome Tiggy1989, Clean looking car you have there….
It does look like a service is well over due and if you don't know when things were last changed it's worth doing.

How many miles has the car done?

Yep, full service it is! All the relevant bits are on their way, but I'll hold out for Hubby to help me in a weeks time. She has 122,000 on the clock to date. 

Back to the top

I’d deffo change the cambelt ASAP.
If you don’t know when it was last done.
Last thing you’d want is that going.
But you’re spot on changing all the fluids, filters, dizzy cap and rotor arm.
Especially fuel filter check for rust in the fuel system as the filler neck rusts dropping particles into the tank.

This is how bad mine was.
It had a new filler neck fitted but they didn’t blow the fuel lines through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Thanks for the advice, we did check the filler neck when purchasing and only saw small spots of rust. Hope the system is clear. I will check it out.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.