Skip navigation

Another newbie with a cabby

Back to the top
Hi All Another newbie with a GTI cabby saying hello. Thanks to Jazzydog (Andrew) for kindly agreeing to sell his pride and joy to me after some bad luck with his showroom. I’ve promised I’ll look after it and have given it a deep clean today and it’s looking great, the colour is stunning and it’s had thumbs up from other drivers on the short journey home. Unlikely i’m going to mess with it as Andrews done a fine job keeping it standard, just needs the drivers seat bolster repairing and the sun to shine! ED62CF28-D987-4C9B-9A1E-583386F57406.jpeg 629D2B88-AD01-4C8E-84B1-465080C0EEF3.jpeg

Back to the top
Welcome to the forum , one rare colour you have there, only seen one like it before.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Thank you, I’ve never seen one despite many years of attending shows so I’m chuffed I’ve got something that brightens up the roads!

Back to the top

Lagos yellow nice one.
Seen quite a few but is a rarer colour.
Looks nice and welcome to the club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Thanks very much Chortle, I’ll know where to come if my hood gives me any grief.

Back to the top
Glad the car has re appeared on here, I think the colour combo suits the car…

The wipers look a little high when in the parked position, mine sit lower down the screen… They are held on with a nut on a spline so perhaps they are a tooth or 2 out?

Or could be they have wipped a dry screen and not sat all the way down?…

Google image or look here..
https://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/reviews/volkswagen/golf-mk1-cabriolet/

Last edit: by mark1gls

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Thanks Mark1gls, I’m guilty of nudging the wipers on when cleaning so they haven’t gone back down but I’m going to take them off this week to get them powder coated and will need to sort power of wiper motor as it’s a bit slow but it’s unlikely I’ll use it in much rain if it can be avoided.

Back to the top
Good time the give the splines a good clean out, scrap out any dirt etc with a pin or thin screw driver and clean then re grease the wiper mechanism if removing the wiper motor.
Info on the here and web with a wiper upgrade to a newer motor as that helps a lot with wiper speed and strength.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
Top advice, thanks Mark1gls, this forum will be most helpful as the advice from experts is appreciated

Back to the top
All in aid of keeping these Mk1 Golfs on the road and being enjoyed.
Welcome to the site and if wish to know anything to keep the car running just shout, start up a new thread in the right section or have a search as most questions/answers can be found here.  :thumbs:

Back to the top

Kingy76 said

Thanks very much Chortle, I’ll know where to come if my hood gives me any grief.

No worries
When you’re ready mate.

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top

That yellow is intense thanks for your kind words on my thread also

Back to the top
Welcome. Cool golf.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.