Skip navigation

Newbie in the market to buy - advice needed please

Back to the top

Mark 1 GTI convertible wanted - where to start

hi everyone
thanks for clicking on my message
my first car was a mark 1 L A reg and I loved it - 20years on and I have a few quid and want to treat myself after a change of personal circumstances
As I write this message, part of me is rather intimidated by the process of buying a mark 1gti convertible, as unlike many of you I have little knowledge of what to look for nor indeed the skill to maintain such a vehicle -gotta start somewhere I guess

here is my brief:
USAGE: daily runner for short local drives, occasional longer runs at the weekend. I have two children so lap seats may need conversions to cater for booster seats
(we have a modern family car already)
Car must be reliable, and dry (my old car leaked terribly but I never had the money to solve this)
i do t have a garage sadly but would buy and use a car cover to keep protected.
BUDGET: circa £7k willing to spend a bit more if needed
CONVERTIBLE? It seems the value lies in the hard tops (do correct me if I’m wrong) but I think I would prefer a convertible
Keen in the later 88-92 models

can you guys help me? what should I look out for ? Perhaps there are a top 5 or 10 tips you can share with me so as I start to visit sellers I a mark a little more informed.
really appreciate any help

Adam

Last edit: by Crowey26

Back to the top
Welcome along mate.

There's a buying guide on the site somewhere that'll help you out but the main thing to check for is rust.

Good thing is there's lots of spares out there now so if anything breaks it's pretty much fixable.

Later cabbies are better built and have less rust issues. Plus they are probably a bit safer.

You should be able to find a decent tin top for 7k and you'll have a choice of tip top condition cabbies at that too.

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
The mighty VW Heritage has a buyers guide on their site for Cabriolets, among other Mk1's (probably best to read all of them). Here's the link to the Cabby one:

https://www.vwheritage.com/blog/2015/06/12/vw-heritage-buying-guide-mk1-golf-convertible/

Back to the top

Except for some not so accurate info on Heritage website regarding roofs.

Bowing of the roof above the side glass is more often than not is the fact the roof has shrunk.
Very common issue. So even if the cable has snapped it won’t cure a shrunken roof.

The insulation padding and interliner are available from myself.
As are replacement rear window frames. In fact Headliners, roofs are available from myself and I can supply and fit.
Most rear window frames are replaced where needed at the time of hood replacement.

One thing to remember is that in the factory the top assembly as it’s known  consists of these parts in order when fitted to the bare frame.

Headliner
Interliner
Padding
Outer cover.. aka roof, hood, top.

So when viewing a car if the headliner is dirty beyond cleaning or ripped damaging hanging down.
You will need to remove the outer cover the Interliner and padding to give you access to the fixings of the headliner.
You cannot fit a new headliner with the hood in place.
There are also 3 sizes of headliner not a one size fits all.
A lot of sellers do nothing to the roof and concentrate on paint etc.
So to check rear window frame kneel on back seat looking out the window and locate the rubber seal as it laps over the frame. Lift the seal away and run your finger under and around the frame. If rust flakes come out etc then the frame is likely goosed.

Open the roof halfway and lift the roof away from the middle section.
If you can see the green pad then The capping sheets are shot.
Check the base cloth for deterioration as these often fall apart.
Most pads are beyond their useable life now being around 30 years old.

Expect to pay £1,600 to redo the top from scratch.
That’s headiner, interliner, padding, rear window frame. Cables and labour fitting.
Bear those costs in mind when looking at a car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Although not a personal favourite the clipper kitted are the better choice for daily use and for weather resistance.

Stormforce seem to do covers that do the bizz pretty well and they honour their warranties pretty well

Waxoyl, decent wax, and wheel sealant are your friends

Current rides:

2003 BMW 330d Manual Saloon Msport
1985 GTI cabriolet black edition (42k miles)
1999 Triumph Daytona 955i Post apocalyptic, rat, brat, scrambler, steam punk, cafe racer

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top

No such thing as a Clipper kit… even though people call it that.
The cabby underwent a facelift in 1988.  So the Clipper and Cabby GTI  both had the facelift treatment by having the same kit fitted.
Being as they are separate models, different engines a GTI isn’t a Clipper.
So it’s official Monika is “facelift model”.
I’m not sure why or how the whole Clipper kit thing started.. I did hear a motoring magazine during a review back in the day wrote that.
But others call it the big bumper model.

Back to the top
Super helpful
Thanks for the warm welcome

The buyers guide is great - gives even me a little confidence now entering this market

Off to see my first example today

I'll keep you posted

Crowey26

Back to the top

Deffo check the roof it’s one of the most neglected things on these cars by far.
If you buy and need your roof sorting give me a call.

Back to the top

Back to the top
I know that technically isnt the term for them but we all know what each other mean when that term is used.

But regardless of what they are called the later models that wear a shell suit are probably better cars with regards to being covered up away from the elements at least arches wise

chortle PM coming your way

Current rides:

1999 Triumph Daytona 955i Post apocalyptic, rat, brat, scrambler, steam punk, cafe racer

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top

Cool

Back to the top
Hi all
Well - been to take a look at my first Cabby.
https://www.londonandsurreycars.co.uk/view-stock/hampton-court-surrey-volkswagen-golf-clipper-956/

I must say a fine example, but at £8k  - I have high expectations.

the guide on this site was SUPER helpful and even a total novice like me, is now able to hopefully, dodge a bullet now and keep sellers honest.
Here are my observations:
1. New roof needed. Electices were good but saggy inside, torn outside. Guy knocked £800 off or offered to have done
2. Rusty petrol pipe - now this was a bad issue on my orginal back in the day - and made me nervous
Seller seemed shocked and immediatly ordered a new pipe there and then - seemed genuine but i wonder if there is damage to the engine?
3. a few cracks and new seals needed here and there but overall, it was a real beauty and VERY orginal
4. the drive was great. engine sounded sweet, not tapity', no smoke, picked up lovley and ran cool.
5. steering pulled left a litte - again seller immediatly agreed to fix
6. brakes - oh my, they are poor - BUT its the first car like this ive driven for YEARS and im used to my new BMW 2 series and wife's brand new Sportage - this car had brand new brakes and hadnt been driven
7. gears, crunched twice getting into 2nd - warning lights in my head - but with a new clutch, i ensured I floored it and the crunch dissapeared. Seemed ok
8. bodyword - the paint job was Excellent, minor marks but for age, excellent. the rust in the pic was from under the door sills. not too bad to be fair. IMG_2323.jpg IMG_2324.jpg IMG_2325.jpg IMG_2327.jpg IMG_2331.jpg IMG_2332.jpg IMG_2333.jpg IMG_2334.jpg IMG_2335.jpg

Take a look at the pics - i'd love to hear your thoughts and thanks for showing such interest.

NB: the following taken from the seller's website: 'With updated CD player and electric roof. In what I would say is an above average condition compared to some of the Clippers still out there. Our workshop has completed a full service, timing belt change, gearbox oil change, clutch replacement, four brand new tyres and MOT safety prep to leave no advisories and keep you as safe as can be. A great overall example, a true classic'

Back to the top
As nice as it is, its isnt an 8k car.

Lets be honest if it was a private sale it would be 6.5k tops to start with.

Its not a bad one by any means, in fact its quite a nice one but its the time of year when cabs can be had for not much money and I think you can find better for less, particularly if you stick to private ads

Current rides:

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top
thank you

Back to the top
I don't understand where the 8k (or 6.5k) figure came from.

Back to the top

That’s the issue I’m seeing a lot.
Cars look ok but roofs rear window frame headliner etc all no good.
Sellers often reluctant to lower prices.

Back to the top

paul_c said

I don't understand where the 8k (or 6.5k) figure came from.

Hi

£8k is the asking price from London and Surrey cars

It seems those much more knowledgeable than me believe car worth circa £6k

This is a garage sell - hence top price

The roof needs doing - seller agreed to £8k sell WITH new roof

Back to the top

chortle said

That’s the issue I’m seeing a lot.
Cars look ok but roofs rear window frame headliner etc all no good.
Sellers often reluctant to lower prices.

Yap
100% new roof needed

Seller agreed to sell for £7200 with rxksiting roof or for £8k with new roof

Back to the top
I'd not give anywhere near that kind of money for it. 

4K maybe. 

You could get a lovely tin top for 8k. 

Back to the top
Keep shopping.

I doubt it's going to be snapped up at that price. Most people wouldn't even consider it tbh as, in my opinion, it is massively overpriced.

I'd be a little concerned with the crunch into 2nd as this is usually a sign of the gear bix being a bit fragile and probably on it's way out. The top selector dohickey spring thingy gets worn and then the gearbox ends up jammed in one gear.

At least you have a good starting point to compare others to  :thumbs:

Good luck

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.