Skip navigation

Hello from Leeds. Words of experiance needed

Back to the top
Hi all, went to buy the Mrs a new car the other day and tucked away in the corner was a mk1 cabby. Well that was 10 days ago and now s!!ts got real im hooked. Been to see 3 to get a bit of a look and feel for what im after and just totally in love. What i do need help with is buying the right one. Its something im looking to keep and lavish for a long time but given the work i may decide to do respray, fettling ect, ect.. i dont want to be stuck with the wrong model if I wanted to sell. Few i have seen have been the 1.8 but not GTi and the interiors were amazing grey standard material but condition was outstanding however all needed re-spray due to just age really.

So advise greatley apprecited:
I defo want electeic roof
Should i go GTi or does it not really matter?
Milage does it matter?
Paper work again important given age and amount of fettling these have anyway?
Im still 50/50 if big or small bumper im going to spring dub fest and harwood house so should help make my mind up. Either way i want a newish car as they seem a bit more sorted and have the power hoods and sometimes windows.

Anyone know of any gems around. I stumbled across this and seems very good for price but sadly advert was from nov 2016. Checked and its MOT expired Feb so maybe hidden away in someones garage. Its an L reg sportline and looked to be in great condition for the money…
Screenshot_20180325-093238.png
1993 Mk1 Golf GTI Sportline Cabriolet | VW Golf Mk2 OC - Cars For Sale

Just general.advise and pointing in right direction appreciated. Mainly it needs to be mechanically sound, body and interior im happy to tackle.

Back to the top
The car above I think is an eBay scam, it has appeared a few times  generally if something is too good to be true it probably is!

Much of what you ask is personal preference, the GTI is usually more desireable and the Carb model can be troublesome but can be fixed with a replacement Carburettor.

Small bumper cars are going to increase in price more than the bigger ones, but being older may need more work. watch out for hidden rust though behind the big bumper models, no less prone to rusting than the earlier ones, but just harder to spot. watch out for rust fuel tanks as I think you have to drop the axel on Cabbys.

depends what your budget is, there are some nice cars about for £10k, but you could spend £5k and easily spend that again fixing if you can’t do all the work yourself.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Golf-Mk1-1-8-GTi-Cabriolet/142716058419?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49131%26meid%3D20839b5a105a44ae974d52d93dddf6ab%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D392000877481%26itm%3D142716058419&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Thanks for the reply. Kind of happy to know that one was a scam as it did seem crazy good deal. When yiu say rusted fuel tank do you mean the filler kneck that seems common or the actual tank. Have seen a big bumper G reg which i really liked had about 110k on clock interior was amazig and original but needed full repaint could have picked it up for 2500 but think resprays are about 3k from what i have read on here, have seen others go for about 1800 so held back at moment would have paid if had been a GTi. As said only been looking for 10 days so still trying to understand prices, there is a totally done red one with red roof on ebay for 7k price feels right for whats been done... but kind of want the enjoyment of doing one myself if you get me.

Last edit: by ajc1984

Back to the top
Is it really a MK1 you are after or just a VW cabrio? You seems to be aiming at GTIs with powered hoods so a later Mk3/4 Golf Cabrio or even Beetle Cabrios can be cheaper than a MK1 and offer much more safety kit and toys including things that get taken as granted these days like PAS, elecy windows and also come complete with headlights and wipers that are not a comedy act.

Is it going to a regular daily driver or a summer high day and holiday car? Even the youngest Cabrio is 25 years old so can suffer old car problems and be a pain if you are relying on as your only transport and cost if you are using a garage to fix stuff.

Have you actually driven a MK1? If you have been driving modern cars the lack of power steering and the noise my come as a bit of a shock….

However if you do find a nice one and can DIY stuff they are fun, the scene/club is prob as good as any in this country. If looked after it will also keep or even increase in value which is a fab when compared to running newer cars,

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Thanks for the reply. Only really like the mk1. My first few cars didnt have power steering so used to that and given its only a weekend fun car not really worried. Just on the noise thats a very good question as the few i have seen on the tick over yhe engines are quite lound/ chattery is this normal... wasnt sure if i had juat been to see lemons!! Know of any gems floating around?

Back to the top
These days it's unlikely that a gem is going to pop up on ebay or classic car sites with out having a large price tag.

Keep your eyes open in the local papers and see if you can spot one and stick a note under the windscreen wiper.

Gems seem to pop up because someone knows someone.

Personally I'd go for lower mileage, but that's not been stored for last few years, as much paperwork as possible and the best interior you can find.

Mechanical bits can be fixed as can paint but finding good interiors is getting very hard as the cars are now getting on a bit.

Both mine have alternative interiors as the original ones were trash when I bought the cars.

I would usually advise patience but with summer coming the prices will start to rocket over the next couple of months.

Good luck with the hunt

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Thanks ian. Im a bit lost with prices as they seem to vary a huge amount.

For instance i saw a G reg 110k milage clipper interior was mint. Needed a full or partial respray. Could have got it for £2500 thoughts?

Then today a sportline has come on ebay for 11k which seems high??

Where would youbput rough market rates to give me a fighting chance.

Is the GTi worth holding out for whats the real differance someone mentioned reliability as injection?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.