Skip navigation

Newbie - collecting GTI this week!

Back to the top
Hello,

Been lurking around the forum since doing a deal on an 83 GTI last week - seems like a great community on here!

I’m a life long petrolhead with a penchant for German cars of all shapes and sizes from various BMWs and Audis to Porsches in the past number of years.

That said, this is the first I will have owned and having always wanted a MK1 GTI I’m looking forward to realising the dream!

I made the cardinal sin of buying any car in that I bought it blind (sort of anyway!).  It was owned by a friend of a friend and although I’ve never seen it in the flesh, I known of the car for the past few years and have a very good idea of the work that has gone into it to get it to it’s current state.

I have posted a few pics and will list the full spec as soon as I pick it up on Weds.  A few of the ‘mods’ are not fully to my taste but a lot of it is easy enough to reverse if I decide to go down that route.

Looking forward to gleaning some good advice from you all as I get to know the car over the next few weeks/months.

Rich D4DBB143-196C-4083-9BC8-A7586828552E.jpeg EE340BFE-CE4C-4A5C-8DC6-6766C78475C6.jpeg E86B3DC6-1E30-4A40-8840-F252D7C867F7.jpeg B8B4CB6A-B677-4B63-B9FF-39E74BBABE71.jpeg 7A21CD7E-9ABC-4CB8-ABC6-8CC6B3A42B70.jpeg AFEFC1FA-D0A7-4EBF-AE8C-AD8BDAC626AC.jpeg 45B29E3A-3096-44ED-8EFF-23C21AC8E41E.jpeg 96A10014-775C-4F5E-9122-8AEA5340099B.jpeg 87451E6D-694D-4610-939C-2456FA7B5B45.jpeg E04C2ED1-0F05-4FA7-998C-74A2DC4442F6.jpeg 461E162C-28A7-4BDA-AD29-58BCE6D40130.jpeg A28EA31F-DBAD-4BD5-A17C-EC8B9D85B00B.jpeg 115DA71B-2AA5-4496-8255-724E1FBBF758.jpeg

Back to the top
Wow, welcome to the forum, that is one nice looking car.

As you said a few striking features - the seats look great but your eye is drawn to the door cards probably more striking in photos than in the flesh.

Why is it such a high percentage of really good cars seem to be in Ireland I wonder?

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Thanks Richard.  Yes, I'm hoping interior isn't quite as 'striking' in the flesh.  As soon as funds allow plan is to change door cards back to standard.  Are they still available to buy?

But, first job is to remove that awful 'sticker bomb' from under the bonnet!

More details to follow.

Cheers
Rich

Back to the top
Well it's unique that's for sure! 🤔

I'd be tempted to leave it as it is but remember to wear my darker pair of sunglasses when I go to it. 😉 👍🏼

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
VW Heritage do new panels

CDBC1793-FC4E-4C4C-B6EA-C6374ABF150C.png

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Cheers for that Richard.  Will see how the interior looks in the flesh before I order anything. 

Back to the top

Eire911 said

Thanks Richard.  Yes, I'm hoping interior isn't quite as 'striking' in the flesh.  As soon as funds allow plan is to change door cards back to standard.  Are they still available to buy?

But, first job is to remove that awful 'sticker bomb' from under the bonnet!

More details to follow.

Cheers
Rich
newton commercial do the cards too, cheaper than heritage last time i checked.

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
Morning. Nice looking Car. Hope you have some good times !!

Back to the top

Newbie - collecting GTI this week!

I like is overall. I think I rather tackle the door cards before the sticker bomb but lively little find. Not a lot to do by the looks of it to make is a more contemporary looking car.  Welcome on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Me likey muchly! Personnally I wouldn't change a thing    :thumbs:

Welcome along to the club Rich.

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Look great, as you said I'd lose the door cards and sticker bomb. 

Back to the top
Great car. Someone's had some fun jazzing it up. Be interesting to see what you make of it, please share pics of what you do and have fun

Back to the top
Thanks for the replies folks.

Been away with work for much of the past 2 weeks and now pretty much snowed in this week so haven't had much time to get to know this fantastic wee machine!

Had a great drive home from Cork to Dublin - it goes like a rocket and didn't miss a beat.  Got a chance to give it a clean and polish at the weekend and the only minor issues I've come across are a few small surface blisters on the front and rear valance - I've got it booked in to the body shop I use to get these sorted out as my OCD won't let me just leave alone…minor as it is!

On board MFA screen is blank and the 3 instrument dials (oil temp, pressure,volts) on the centre consol work perfectly until you put the headlights on…at which point they develop a mind of their own for some reason.

Interior thankfully not as 'loud' in the flesh as in the pics but still reckon I'll go back to standard black door cards in the future.  Shame as there's an invoice for 3600 euro for the retrim job in the history file…!!!  Seats are absolutely fantastic - after a bit of research I found out that they're genuine  recaro's taken from an old 635csi beemer.

Will get some more pics and a proper report up as soon as this crazy weather passes!

Rich

Back to the top
Hi Rich

Nice car - Welcome to the club - I have seen it a few times at the AT Autostyle in Kilkenny who did the interior trim.

We also had it at our show in Kilkenny in 2016 when we had the 40th GTI celebrations weekend. It really stood out.

It's a nice motor - gotta love those seats too.

We have an Ireland region so be sure to join that section for info on shows and meets etc.

This weather sure is crazy last few days!

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top
That's great to know Hugh, thanks a lot.  Certainly keen to get along to a few meets and learn some more from the experts!  How do I get joined up for the Irish section?

I came across your website recently, what a gorgeous GTI you have!  Plan is to get this back to a more 'original' state over time but may be quite some time before it's in the same shape as what yours looks to be!

Cheers
Rich
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.