Skip navigation

Love & Legacy

Back to the top

Hi guys,

I’m a newbie to the Mk1 owners clan!

Unfortunately  i’ve joined under difficult circumstances, and I am the bearer of bad news… A former member of the Mk1 OC and one of my closest friends Mike Rathbone (Mikey_v-dub) has recently passed away. Following his loss i’ve managed to track down and get his pride and joy back - his Mandarin Orange Mk1.

I only have an very basic knowledge of mechanics, but hopefully with a little help from you guys, I can get his legacy back on the road and would love one day to win a show for him - I know this is ambitious but it’s something he always wanted! It’s going to be a long project so the posts may be few and far between, but i’ll do my best to keep you all updated and i’m sure ill have plenty of questions.  Looking forward to getting involved! Here she is…

Thanks guys, Tom
  Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 11.31.23.png  

Last edit: by TomYar

Back to the top

Love & Legacy

Hi Tom

I never knew mike. His car looks great and it's an amazing thing you are trying to do. Best of luck and look forward to the project updates

Wes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Thanks Wes! i'll do my best to keep everyone updated!

Back to the top
Good to see you are saving another Mk1, good thing with these cars are they are quite basic to work on, mostly simple tools needed and most things are easy to get to and get hold of.

Any pictures etc of how the car is now?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

Love & Legacy

So sorry to hear about your friend. Glad to hear you have taken charge of his beloved mk1. All a mk1 needs is to be loved and looked after really so if you're up for that then all is good! Welcome to the forum and I'm sure that we can install some of the passion your friend had…..welcome to mk1 golf madness, the best kind you can have

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Welcome aboard, even in sad circumstances. There's lots of info on here including how to's to assist and a shout out if you;re stuck. It's worth looking at others build threads and projects for ideas and inspiration.

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Mk1 looks great, look forward to seeing the progress of it  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Thanks guys, great to know there's help when needed! mark1gls - I don't have any other pictures just yet as it's still with its current owner until I have arranged storage, which I haven't had chance to get onto just yet. But as soon as I have it ill put some pics up!

Back to the top
Hi,  Never new Mike!  But welcome aboard..Kind Regards Martyn
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.