Skip navigation

newbie member long time lerker

Back to the top

recent purchase vw mk1 gti convertible frankenstein

A brief history of me and vw
 Having stepped back in time to dabble with the aircooled van and bugs over the last few years, I sold my last t2 bus to help buy a house.
That left me with my trusty  t4 and a empty back account:(.
I have owned all sorts of vw in the past 20 years:

VW G60 CORRADO
MK1 GTI
16v corrado
polo breadvan
mk1 karman clipper
t25
t4 ect ect…
I needed a new project as I suffer from depression and if I'm not busy I fall in to deep depression rapidly
so I told myself a mk1 gti is what I needed in my life only trouble lack of funds for the tintop prices have rocketed since I sold my mars red gti £1600

Back to the top
So the search was on for a cabby as the prices looked more to my pocket
found one localish to me on fleabay blind bid and won at £1300
black clipper kitted gti rough paint but moted and driverable
ran rough, bad brakes usual mk1 problems
may have to start a build thread

Back to the top
 hope to chat with others and find out if theirs any local meets I'm in Barnsley
I know the old post office pub was a vw meeting spot years ago anyone know if its still going

Back to the top
ive joined for a few  reasons one being I think I helps to have peoples advise while doing projects and two I will be taking the clipper kit off and a few more mods that aren't to my liking, guess this is a good site to sell them on :thumbs:

Back to the top
the more I look at it the more I think its been made up of all sorts of different mk1s lol hence Frankenstein
it was originally a grey mk1 gti cabby but it has a clipper kit with electric hood and windows its been painted black at some point but I have found traces of red paint
the interior is really good but not from this year or model but I guess with mot and running £1300 isn't going to get you much

Back to the top
if I can sort some pictures I will add them asap

Back to the top
I enjoyed reading the story and congrats on the basket-case Cabby! Welcome, and of course pics are in  order!  :thumbs:

Back to the top
thanks
been working on the basket case today
also putting some electric to the garage as weve just moved in

Back to the top
decent size single garage just enough room to get round car
ive passed the point of no return now on the volkenstein O_o

Back to the top
First, welcome along mucker.  :thumbs:

Second, to add pictures simpl;y click on the 'Add Images' tag down on the right hand side, just above the 'Make Post' button (assuming you're using the 'quick reply' box below.

Thirdly, the good thing with a car that's already been mucked about with, is that you can do whatever you want to it without any guilt about ruining a perfectly good car  :thumbs:

Or at least that's what I reckon anyway  :P

Good luck with it

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

vwoldmad1 said

ive passed the point of no return now on the volkenstein O_o

excellent-4689_preview.png

Back to the top

borednow said

First, welcome along mucker.  :thumbs:

Second, to add pictures simpl;y click on the 'Add Images' tag down on the right hand side, just above the 'Make Post' button (assuming you're using the 'quick reply' box below.

Thirdly, the good thing with a car that's already been mucked about with, is that you can do whatever you want to it without any guilt about ruining a perfectly good car  :thumbs:

Or at least that's what I reckon anyway  :P

Good luck with it

Ian

that's so true but will it be worth more for taking it back to standard ie colour and extior trim??

Back to the top
mind you I have ideas of my own
I want dark gun metal grey paint and some cool 13" rims
not asking for much from it really
Its now running as a gti should interiors good so hope to turn it around asap
 ;)

Back to the top
Welcome mate, looking forward to a build thread as you go along. Don't forget the discount partners we have on here for parts too.

My Mate   richyhill  has a smashing metallic grey cabbie all small bumper. Got to say they look nice.

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Build what you want mate!  :thumbs:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
had a week or so on the monster
replaced the rear lower panel and bottom arch repairs
stripped for paint prepping
cracked the window taking it out :'(

Back to the top
the rest of the body is in real good nick I wish I could get a tintop in this shape for same price

Back to the top
sorry no pics as I have lost my phone again
ive done minor body repairs here n there
took the ugley grill off and  bought a nice shiney new one from heritage
its now in primer  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Would be great to see pics of this project as it progresses I have a cabby as well. When I got mine it had the clipper kit on it, now has triple chrome small bumpers, single headlight conversion and afew other bits. Nice to see what other people are doing to their cabbys  :thumbs:

Back to the top
IMG_0850.JPG IMG_0851.JPG IMG_0856.JPG IMG_0855.JPG IMG_0853.JPG b2a7b6ef35834167deac27c379dbbee3--canvases-madrid.jpg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.