Skip navigation

Mk1 Cab newbie & Mk5 Cab

Back to the top
Hi All!

Good to meet you all!

So after some nagging (and she recently wrote my car off) I've convinced her to let me get a Mk1 cab which I've wanted for years. Its a 1990 1.8.
Picking it up later so super excited! Its been well looked after with some of the mods done that i would do and few bits allowing me to tinker at the weekends. (single headlight conversion lowered etc)

Couple of things:
whats the best thing to do engine wise? Worth swapping to twin carbs?
Wheres the best place to get the little bits and bobs its missing like blanking plates, speakers for the rear door cards etc?
and lastly can you get a baby seat in it?

The mrs has a mk5 contour cab - runs like a bag of bolts though!

Look forward to reading what everyone has done to theirs and finally being pat of themk1 club

Neil

Back to the top
Whatcha mucker  :thumbs:

Welcome along to the club.

Twin carbs are awesome. The noise and the feel of them is great. I'd highly recommend them. Fairly easy to do and well worth it.
Personally I prefer Deloorto's to Webers but that's just me.

Classic VW are good for bits. http://www.classic-vw.co.uk/contact-us-2-w.asp if you have a specific item in mind give Mark a ring. Some of his stock isn't on the website.

It should have lap belts in the back and I've seen plenty of cars with baby seats in them so I presume it's easy enough to do.

Good luck with it, hope it's everything you're hoping it is.

Just ask the questions and someone will help you out.

Cheers

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Thanks for the reply and welcome!

Will check the link out as probably going to give it a go, I presume you need to change the manifold too? Only thing I don't know what to do is set them up, is it fairly easy?

Only done 89k so hopefully the block and head are in good order.

Found some 3 point harnesses on eBay so will probably replace the lap belts with one of them so I can pop a baby seat in. 

Also where's the best place to get amour plating?

Any other good to do's tips? 

Sorry for all the questions haha 
Added some pics, Let me know what you think!

IMG_1273.PNG IMG_1276.PNG IMG_1280.PNG

Back to the top
There's plenty of how to's on youtube etc.

Have a word with the local garages, you might be surprised and find one who has an 'expert' on carbs or can recommend someone local.

Yup you'll need a manifold too. It's a bit of art to get them running right, but with a book, colour tune and timing light you should be able to get to a garage who can do the final finishing bits to them. Speak to Webcon who are the experts in carbs as well. They might be able to recommend some carbs.

Changing out the brake fluid is always a good one. It probably hasn't been done in a while and will make a heck of a difference to the braking power.

Other than that, if it works enjoy it. If it don't get a hammer and fix it  :thumbs:

She looks like a goodun in the pictures, nice purchase  ;)

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.