Skip navigation

1991 Young line GTI will not start

Back to the top

fuel problems

Hi I hope you can help with my 1991 Young Line GTi from Germany that will not start and is due to be on display at the breakfast meeting at Goodwood on Sunday!!
When ever I turn the ignition on I used to get a buzz from under the car, and it would always start 1st time. Today nothing. I have checked all the fuses and the relay, still nothing!, I took the Pierburg externa fuel pump off, getting covered in fuel!! I connected it up to the battery an it just clicks. Am I right in thinking that the tank pump has to send pressurised fuel to this pump to make it work?  Have not looked at the tank pump yet. Any help or tips would be much appreciated, I am in Selsey on the South Coast. Cheers Paul

IMG_1820.JPG IMG_1819.JPG IMG_1818.JPG

1992 Red 'Sportline' LHD from France now in Spain,
1991 White' Young Line' GTI LHD from Germany that I can not take to Spain because of Brexit!😒

Back to the top
No, pumps don't usually need fluid to turn on.

Just make sure that you have the voltage in the right direction.

Try reversing your test leads to the pump.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

No, pumps don't usually need fluid to turn on.

Just make sure that you have the voltage in the right direction.

Try reversing your test leads to the pump.

Thanks have put the pump back and will check the tank pump today! If I need a new pump any idea of where to get one? My internet search has drawn a blank, I can see similar ones but they were fitted to Mercs! Thanks again

1991 White' Young Line' GTI LHD from Germany that I can not take to Spain because of Brexit!😒

Back to the top
Not 100% sure what type of fuel system is fitted to your car but if it's Bosch K-jet there is 2 pumps, a lift pump in the tank and the external pump.

lift pump inside the tank.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200691149226?fits=Model%3AGolf&hash=item2eba1fe9aa:g:wFYAAOSwcwlfslHy

You will need to replace the little bit of rubber hose between the the lift pump and fuel sender as they rot over time as the are inside a fuel tank.
Be very careful removing the fuel tank sender to get inside the tank especially if you have the plastic type as they re getting hard to buy and expensive if you find one.

In tank pump looks like this..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265383339423?hash=item3dca14659f:g:xcIAAOSwjd5heGM3

Main fuel pump underneath the car. Bosch K-jet was fitted to lots of cars from Ford capri to Porsche and Merc…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221791401710?fits=Model%3AGolf&hash=item33a3cc36ee:g:B0QAAOSweW5Vbtp9

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154164917478?fits=Model%3AGolf&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item23e4f1f4e6:g:u7QAAOSw8EhevTOY&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACoPYe5NmHp%252B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsStEKTPzZMfQmny3knR97t0O4IYjQNpKhvXa4o4fFIyyGRY2mqbe2VKe3ALB1SS5SDtgvTEo9fOz423uk2Z9%252FO9zcIm0ym1RH02%252ButDvR0sQkzzqR9aMQKvHe0JA6hJnkLvnVKrP28mE8VvqayabGGO%252BhhHz8nPaXHnEFVx1Yq7mxXxASjoAaptyXvrChkh3%252Bwg54bDeDc2ebNfFaCUgaoZO9e6Z%252Fj0MNnvyV35igEcJYwAIF%252FC0A2OKz83Px5PCJDrN5JPO5PwWHhCHHSzN2AohkQ16W1dqsXwU3QQDmZdzf8Q6em1CH%252BErPccLPFo%252BqI5iLQzkl6cVMzM07WS03h3%252FbSXn1uVRpgAX%252F4FTZPj7C4%252F0HbPl7%252BB726o0MgFlAMPNaZJsRjWNw4qRKWoN1Dx3mhrdDszpanRwawbd3HA7v5NQPQ%252FLaeokpouXnYTiVjq9mQaExhfn4Q%252Fhisi1vQjTKDEqehlPMvhCiw%252BL8wmk4%252FHGXXqPL7vxAOWgu5LvJWWUEbPChN2GgKcfAxJONk0fHfLwNevFzAiSyj99FEJFOaqoJviHj5%252BknoNb3YDo5POMKSNWsBwJR1rgEV1YrF7Z6eVuiRMjfnsPmPVPT3Anl99TsnIUqxyGQCuzGCpuVo%252FSvo%252BMm0Y3UVQzh6stDRdeHzGenWn3LzhkjdNMLWoMPjVNzCFKa91xQEj6SbSlRKyaB%252FXH7ZpSer8jOarh6Qjdmz%252FijO4lN4hZo%252FkqM0pR2BLAEseeiubl4i7cmt3h%252BEX9QnKIsMhTlWsYu5TlLrGa6KLxLwNYGJZ8v%252Bq8nOfi70s%252F6Bq4%252Fw58GQl8lmQSl7Fhbv5fCswmaM6fAA7oDHKQ%253D%253D%7Cclp%3A2334524%7Ctkp%3ABFBMkuCfyJ5f

Last edit: by mark1gls

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Hi Thanks it is not the K jet that is fitted to mine, just about to check the tank pump, fingers crossed

Back to the top
The in-tank pump is the same on 84.5 thru 93 Cabriolets.

Most parts store over here on this side of the pond, usually stock them or can get one in a day or so.
and I don't think I have paid over 50-60 bucks for one, Just be sure that you also buy a piece of e10 rated submersible fuel line about a foot 5/16 inner diameter.
To reconnect the pump to the sender, and that you go back with fuel line clamps, and not the Jubilee type as they don't clamp equally on small diameter hoses and can leave a gap in the line causing a leak or the hose to fall off.

Here is a How-do -I-it for the in-tank pump.

1984.5-1993 mk1 How to change your in-tank fuel pump | Volkswagen Owners Club Forum

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

Most parts store over here on this side of the pond, usually stock them or can get one in a day or so.
and I don't think I have paid over 50-60 bucks for one, Just be sure that you also buy a piece of e10 rated submersible fuel line about a foot 5/16 inner diameter.
To reconnect the pump to the sender, and that you go back with fuel line clamps, and not the Jubilee type as they don't clamp equally on small diameter hoses and can leave a gap in the line causing a leak or the hose to fall off.

1984.5-1993 mk1 How to change your in-tank fuel pump | Volkswagen Owners Club Forum

Hi removed the tank pump the pipe had rotted replaced, can hear it prime when I turn the ignition on, but the other pump by the fuel tank is  not working! Been on a lot of sites cant seem to find one to replace the Pierburg one, on my Dignfiant system all the others seem to have a no return valve fitted! Gutted I can't make it to the show tomoz!

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

Sorry forgot to say thanks!!  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Your Welcome, and Pierburg is but one of the many after market makers of parts.  Any Good Pump will Suffice, Airtex, VDO, and Genuine VW all come to mind, and you don't need a Back flow valve, as I don't recall seeing them on any of the ones I looked at or the genuine VW.

The Fuel Pump Regulator under the hood Prevents that from occurring see the description in the fueling section of the Bentley.  If you are that concerned you can buy an after market one and place in-line.  But when everything is working correctly all vaccum line connected, intact, and not missing you won't see the issue at all.

Looking up the part by type or part number all come blank on the UK or Werk34 sites

See a few listed on ebay and Amazon…which may be your best shot.

I did find https://www.autoteilexxl.de/867906091-oen

The part number that I have are:
191906232A

Why they don't want to Stock the later Cabriolet pumps is beyond me… Yes I know dwindling sales, but there are still quite a few of these running world wide….

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

Your Welcome, and Pierburg is but one of the many after market makers of parts.  Any Good Pump will Suffice, Airtex, VDO, and Genuine VW all come to mind, and you don't need a Back flow valve, as I don't recall seeing them on any of the ones I looked at or the genuine VW.

The Fuel Pump Regulator under the hood Prevents that from occurring see the description in the fueling section of the Bentley.  If you are that concerned you can buy an after market one and place in-line.  But when everything is working correctly all vaccum line connected, intact, and not missing you won't see the issue at all.

Looking up the part by type or part number all come blank on the UK or Werk34 sites

See a few listed on ebay and Amazon…which may be your best shot.

I did find https://www.autoteilexxl.de/867906091-oen

The part number that I have are:
191906232A

Why they don't want to Stock the later Cabriolet pumps is beyond me… Yes I know dwindling sales, but there are still quite a few of these running world wide….

Brilliant thanks for your help! Will sort tomorrow after I have been to the Breakfast meeting at Goodwood…without my car! O_o  I am a Race Marshall their too so will catch up with a few friends. Thanks again, take care P

Back to the top
s-l1600 (8).jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg s-l1600.jpg

Hi Just to let you know my Young Line is all sorted, I took a gamble on a pump that was marketed as not for my car, but after I took the rubber protector off the pump it fitted perfectly in the bracket under the car and works really well! FYI it is a Pierburg 7.21287.53. thanks for all you help, Cheers

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.