Skip navigation

280mm G60 discs and Mk2 16v calipers

Back to the top

280mm G60 discs and Mk2 16v calipers

Hi,

Apologies if a stupid question, but I currently have the Mk2 16v brake setup with the 256mm discs and audi caliper carriers fitted to my 4-stud Mk1 Gti.

Is it possible to use the G60 280mm discs with my current calipers if i just get hold of the bracket for the calipers, or would i need to change to G60 calipers as well.

Thanks

Ash

1983 Gti track day weapon!

Back to the top
AFAIK - Yes, you just need the brackets and your existing calipers will do the job. Beware, that only certain 15" wheels will go over 280mm brakes.

Back to the top

Brackets

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that. Any idea where to get the brackets from?

Cheers

Ash

Back to the top

Re: Brackets

kayeabl said

Thanks for that. Any idea where to get the brackets from?

I'm looking myself. There were some for sale on here, but they are provisionally sold. TSR do a kit (including grooved discs and pads, brackets, bolts, but without calipers) for ?275. Another brake upgrade bigger than 256mm is a Wilwood 4-pot upgrade including discs, but this is in the region of ?600 or so.

So, I'd be just as interested as you to know where you can buy the brackets from!

Back to the top
Right, done a bit of research.

280mm brackets only - $89 from Canada + VAT + shipping

You'd need to buy G60 discs, calipers and pads.

These guys also do 11" (280mm) disc and 4-pot Wilwood kits, they are out of stock of discs but the price looks good at $720.

TSR do 270mm and 285mm kit which includes brackets, discs and pads (but not calipers) for ?275 inc VAT

http://www.hispecbrake.co.uk/Conversions/vw.htm

These guys do bigger conversions using 4-pot calipers. There's a choice of manufacturers for 4 pot (or even 6 pot) kits, for example Brembo, Wilwood, others

285mm 4-pot ?579.17 + VAT + shipping
300mm 4-pot ?793.17 + VAT + shipping
325mm 4-pot ?854.17 + VAT + shipping

Back to the top
I got some good quality brackets off this site from Boraboy. It might be worth seeing if he has had anymore made up.

[Quality doesn't show up too well now they've been painted black]

Or if you want to push the boat out, Chris Eyre has had some MK1 brackets made for Wilwood calipers.  They take standard 280 discs: http://www.vwmotorsport.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1136

Back to the top
i can do you a pair of brackets posted for ?50

Back to the top

deanoS said

i can do you a pair of brackets posted for ?50

What calipers do they use (existing ones or different?)

Back to the top
use original callipers just spaces them for the 280mm disc

Back to the top

Brake Pads

Just out of interest are the Mk1 pads smaller than the G60 or Mk2 pads as then even with bigger discs isn't it the same braking contact area if the pads are still Mk1 pads, or have I misunderstood and you can use the G60 size pads in the original calipers.

Cheers

Ash

Back to the top

deanoS said

use original callipers just spaces them for the 280mm disc

PM sent

Back to the top
I'm currently working on fitting Audi A3 callipers with a g60 280mm disc. The stock Audi ones are 288 but I think I've worked out a way to mount them using one of the original mounting wholes and a bracket for the second. I only paid £20 for the callipers so thought it would be worth a go.  :thumbs:

1992 1.8 8 valve Convertible GTI
  2008 E93 335i N54 Twin Turbo
  3 Kids
  Suzuki LT50 Quad
  ( and the Mrs ) Tiny convertible tin top.jpg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.