Skip navigation

256mm mk2 discs on a mk1....?

Back to the top

256mm mk2 discs on a mk1....?

will the 256mm discs and carriers from the mk2 fit a mk1 driver with ease. what else would i need for these to fit. if so then im interested in them

Back to the top
I think the answer to this is no, as everyone goes with the Audi 256mm brakes.

It's to do with the distance between the bolts which hold the caliper to the hub carriers being different between the Mk1 and Mk2, and I don't think Mk2 carriers will fit the Mk1 either.

Back to the top
Need the Audi carriers, or go for GM 256mm calipers as they will also fit. The only difference, if being from a GM is not a real problem, is that the mounting bolts on the GM are M12 instead of the M10 of the VW. You should use a sleeve in the hole, but there are people just bolting them on with a large washer. Not a solution for the Anal or Purist, but cheaper and more available than the Audi parts.

Back to the top
what audi are they off. audi 80 i would think.

how much am i looking for these

plus what sort of master cylinder upgrade can i do to my mk1 driver

Back to the top
The last set on ebay were around ?200, but may have included some discs too.

Back to the top
fit a 9" servo and 22mm master cylinder from any of the later vw's 16v golf corrado etc you can get the bits new from GSF just had this done to mine makes the pedal feel alot more positive, you will also need some T-pieces for the brake lines i can take a photo if you wish.

ive just bought a set of 256mm audi calipers and carriers that fit straight on ive also got the G60 set up depending on what i use mate i'll let you know. if you havent found any by then.

Scott

1983 mars red 1800GTi on ATS cups:)
G60'd, schrick cam, chipped, 70mm pulley, pace charge cooler, rolling road 182bhp 250Nm of torque, 14.50 quarter mile.

Back to the top
The only real advantage in larger brake discs is better heat dissipation when braking from high speeds. They don't brake any better, if your car has stnadard tyres and is not significantly heavier, because the standard brakes can lock up the tyres. 9" servo and 22mm master cylinder adds to extra braking force, but it makes the pedal lighter and less travel to achieve the same braking, therefore it feels better and gives more confidence in the driving.

Back to the top

paul_c said

The only real advantage in larger brake discs is better heat dissipation when braking from high speeds. They don't brake any better, if your car has stnadard tyres and is not significantly heavier, because the standard brakes can lock up the tyres. 9" servo and 22mm master cylinder adds to extra braking force, but it makes the pedal lighter and less travel to achieve the same braking, therefore it feels better and gives more confidence in the driving.

They do brake better, have you seen the difference in size between the audi calipers and standard ones?

It is best to start with the 9" servo and 22mm master cylinder though, as any further modification will need these.

Do the smaller engined mk1's have bolt on caliper carriers like the big block cars? If not you'll need some GTI hubs/uprights before you contemplate upgrading the discs.

You'll find the carriers and calipers on the square shape Pre87 5 cylinder audi coupes, 90's and possibly 100's. Also on pre88 5 cylinder passats.

Back to the top

stew72 said

They do brake better, have you seen the difference in size between the audi calipers and standard ones?

Technically speaking, if a wheel locks, bigger brakes aren't going to make it brake better, because its so good its reached the limit of the tyre. Hence, if you're keeping more/less standard tyres, then you don't need physically larger brakes.

They only come into play when the tyre is wider/more grippy, and when heat dissipation becomes an issue - for example racing, track days, braking from high speeds (like above 90mph to stop, regularly).

Reading G40chris's other posts, though, I think he'll need bigger brakes (and wheels and tyres) because he's planning a 20VT or something high power.

Back to the top
A tyre has far higher dynamic friction than static friction, so saying that you can lock them easier is irrelevant, it's what happens prior to lockup. It's not heat dissipation either, it's mechanical advantage. The feel of my 256's is superb even though the tyres I'm currently using are frighteningly bad especially in the wet.

Back to the top
do i need to change the hubs, and what are uprights

9'' servo and 22mm master cylinder, can i get these new and how much should i be looking to pay. what car are these off.

i like planning ahead before actually going out and buying loads of crap then find out it dont fit. so i tend to ask a lot of questions first

Back to the top
Have a look in here for all the info you need…

http://www.vwgolfmk1.o…orums&file=viewforum&f=16

HTH…

Megasquirted 1981 Silver 1600 GTI Daily Driver

Still Restoring...

Back to the top

G40chris said

do i need to change the hubs, and what are uprights

9'' servo and 22mm master cylinder, can i get these new and how much should i be looking to pay. what car are these off.

i like planning ahead before actually going out and buying loads of crap then find out it dont fit. so i tend to ask a lot of questions first

Typically off Mk2 16V Golf GTI (up to around '89 I think) but other VW models too - eg Mk3 Passat??? Not sure….

Back to the top
as said above, check out the FAQ.

you cant fit mk2 256mm brakes, for various reasons, aside from teh fact teh caliper carriers have a different bolt spacing, fitting the hubs/uprights etc doesnt solve teh problem, it causes others, screws with other issues.

Audi set up you just need the calipers and carriers, they bolt straight to the mk1 Hubs like the std mk1 set-up.

I'm about to fit the Vauxhall 256mm 16V set up, i'll report back with more details once i've confirmed it all fits and works.  You can pick vauxhall calipers up for ?30-40!

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
might wait till i have heard back from you then

Back to the top
You don't need T peices for the brake switch, just run the wires back through the bulk head and fit a brake pedal switch, looks much cleaner in the engine bay IMO and is easier.

www.vwcaddy.com

Back to the top

yeha said

A tyre has far higher dynamic friction than static friction, so saying that you can lock them easier is irrelevant, it's what happens prior to lockup. It's not heat dissipation either, it's mechanical advantage. The feel of my 256's is superb even though the tyres I'm currently using are frighteningly bad especially in the wet.

Beat me to it.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.