Skip navigation

Driveshaft size / CV boot

Back to the top
Hi all,

Looking for some help.

How do I figure out what size CV boots I shall need, both inner and outer. I understand that there is a choice of either 90mm and 100mm driveshafts, but it's been a fair few years since I swapped everything out so I can't remember what route I went.

If anyone has any leads to some decent CV boots that'd be great too.

1989 caddy, 4T 020 gearbox.

Thanks in advance.

Back to the top
To determine the Size of your axles
Wrap a string around the Inner joint next to the differential.

Wrap it around and mark it at the overlap both strings, then with a ruler (not the Queen), if the distance between the marks is a little over 11" 11.13 it is a 90mm axle, Just under 12.5" it is a 100mm axle.

I didn't think there was a difference between the outer boots.

The Inners are determined by the axle flange.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

Wrap it around and mark it at the overlap both strings, then with a ruler (not the Queen), if the distance between the marks is a little over 11" 11.13 it is a 90mm axle, Just under 12.5" it is a 100mm axle.

Brilliant thankyou. I wasn't sure whether or not the diameter was different between the two! In regards to the inner boots then, this is dependent on the gearbox flange size?

Back to the top

ryves said

Briano1234 said

Brilliant thankyou. I wasn't sure whether or not the diameter was different between the two! In regards to the inner boots then, this is dependent on the gearbox flange size?

Yes the inners depend on the size of the flange on a 90mm flange the bolts all align, but on a 100mm flange they are offset and you have to align the axle so two bolts align and inserting the 3rd bolt it starts… I have always hated that offset.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.