Skip navigation

Cabriolet C-Pillar Seal

Back to the top

Help needed for correctly affixing the c-pillar seal!!

Hi guys,

I've got a 1982 cabriolet GLi which I've been restoring for a few years. The previous owner mentioned that there was a leak around the back of the roof but they didn't know where. A quick look revealed that the reason it was leaking was because there were no c-pillar seals where the corner of the roof meets the body!! Was an easy spot as there was also no plastic trim bits that cover this seal either. It appears to have had a new roof and whoever did it decided that the seals were optional!

I've got two new seals for each side as well as the little plastic trim bits but need some advice on how to properly affix them. Ive got the seals on the body of the car but not figured out the right way of getting the roof fixed to the seals or even what kind of fixing this needs. I had a look online but haven't found much. The last thing I want is it leaking again so I thought it best to ask around for some info rather than bodging it or potentially ruining the roof!

If anyones got any diagrams or detailed pics it would be much appreciated!

Cheers!:thumbs:

Back to the top
There's a couple of screws which hold the fat part of the seal down and thin strip part sits on the lip and underneath the tension cable, you may need to loosen the cable to get the seal underneath the cable..

Pictures in this guide, there is a few pages and you need to click on the link to next page towards the bottom (near text - Child pages)

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F31

The roofs are a slightly different design over the years so your may be different to what I’ve seen on my 1988 cabriolet and info in the guide.

Hopefully Briano1234 or  Chorle will add to this thread as there the guys to ask. :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Briano1234 also has a lot of very helpful guides here.

View topic: My DIY list of things for a 90ish Cabriolet (digifant2) part 1 - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

There is also a link to the guides in the signature.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
Thats awesome, thanks!

I think what was throwing me off is that there's no holes in the frame where the plastic trim screws in to. Must've been welded or filled by a previous owner

Back to the top
Yes a couple of screw hold the plastic outer trim on but the metal behind it has a tendency to rust away, I don't think VW put much paint around that area and if the screw scratches it, it rusts without you noticing…

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.