Skip navigation

ABF MK1 GTi will not start, no spark

Back to the top
Hi, I have a MK1 Gti that has an ABF conversion using the standard MK3 GTi ECU etc. I did the conversion myself learning from this very forum (not sure what happened to my account) many moons ago, so I have pretty much forgotten everything! The car has been stood for a few months I tried to start but the battery was dead. I replaced the battery but then the car would not start. It seems to have no spark. I tested the coil by grounding the negative side to earth with a jumper lead and the spark was good. I have been through the connectors and such like and checked all fuses. Now I am out of ideas. I have no diagnostic port because I forgot to get that bit from the doner car.
Any help or suggestions will be gratefully received.

Back to the top
Anyone? Rubjohnny around these parts?

Back to the top
similar issues with my mk2, it really needs a good battery, i see you have tried a good one. would try jumping from another car too. sometimes need that little help. rubberjohny is on here, will help you out when you speak his name three times and hop on 1 leg

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshiŁ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top
I noticed that the rev counter was not moving when cranking over. Would this suggest the crank position sensor is at fault?
Edited to add Rubjohnny. That's twice, once more and a hop on one leg right?

Back to the top
could be all kinds of things, but crank sensor is always a suspect.

get diagnostics sorted, its dead easy so long as you at least ran the grey/white diagnostic wire inside the car from ecu pin 43. if so, you get yourself a 16 pin plug from just about anything 1996 onwards. connect grey/white to pin 7, give it live to pin 16 and earth to pin 4.

then you can check to see if the ecu is even powering up right, look at engine rpm measuring block to see if its seeing a signal from crank sensor etc

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.