Skip navigation

Violent jolting at speed

Back to the top

'84 Mk1 having issue related to fuel or vacuum

Hello all!

My '84 Mk1 has developed a problem where it sputters and jolts violently at road speed, seeming like the engine is choking itself of fuel.
When I'm parked it idles fine, only operating poorly while the engine is under load.

Bought from a friend who's been tinkering with it for a couple months. We've replaced:
Accumulator
Air Diffuser
Fuel Disperser
Fuel Lines Injector>Manifold
Injectors & new spark plugs
Distributor Cap & Distributor
Fuel Filter
IAC Idle Air Control
I have menial knowledge working on VWs but this is my first time owning a Golf.
Any advice or guru knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

Back to the top
How's the fuel filler neck, any rusty holes in it?
Shine a torch down it from the filler cap end to check, next have a look inside the fuel tank, there's an inspection hole underneath the back seat and plenty of guides/info on here or web on checking in the tank.

Not sure if your car has a lift pump in the fuel tank as well as a main fuel pump underneath the car, if the lift pump is starting to fail the main pump gets noisy as it struggles to get fuel out of the tank.

How much petrol is in the tank as cars without lift pumps can suffer from fuel starvation if below 1/4 tank if the in tank swirl pot is missing as a lot of after market tanks don't seem to fit proper Gti swirl pots, the original swirl pot has rubber flaps to stop the fuel escaping which over time the rubber rots away then blocks the fuel intake.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.