Skip navigation

Golf MK1 instrument cluster in Polo MK2 gt?

Back to the top
Hey,

I'm owning a polo mk2 (86c) GT from 1990, the first phase. The instrument cluster has some problems (only the speedometer and digital clock working, all the other gauges and lights are sometimes working, sometimes not) but I can't find the solution so I've decided to change it. But this cluster model seems to be pretty difficult to find, most of the other polo mk2 cluster have a clock instead of the rev counter.

I've seen some very similar Golf mk1 clusters, would it be easy to swap them? I've heard the golf cluster is a bit wider. I've seem someone using the polo one in its golf.

Here's the pictures of both of these clusters: [Polo mk2 1990] Using a Golf mk1 instrument cluster? - Album on Imgur

Thanks for your advices

Back to the top
It's probably a dodgy earth to the cluster.

I'm pretty sure that the clusters are the same size as I have a Mk1 Derby and golf's and have spare clusters that I can never tell apart.

The wiring into the cluater may be different though and some wires may need changing around in the connectors.

Good luck

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
they are the same shape and swap straight over, but the speedometer is calibrated for small block 084/5 type gearbox, so not quite right for big block. can swap speedometer either way

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.