Skip navigation

Optional extra built in phone?

Back to the top
Has anyone ever heard / seen an original VW phone built into early MK1's (82) currently in the process of looking at purchasing an 82 1.5 GL and it has an additional aerial/antenna on the roof apparently fitted from factory as an optional extra? 

I've tried searching the forums and scouring the web but come up with absolutely nothing on it?! 

Any help appreciated  6B9DD759-E404-4265-9227-BF52CA5BA37E.jpeg

Back to the top
Think it was probably after market.

A bit like the sunroof.

All adds to an interesting history in my opinion  :thumbs:

Welcome along btw.

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Thanks for the response and welcome! 

Aftermarket as in fitted by the buyer / privately or as in an optional extra from VW? 

I was under the impression the sunroof was certainly fitted from factory as an option? 

Back to the top
In the pic it looks like a glass tilting sun roof. If it is then I believe these were not vw ones.

Unless the aerial has a VW stamped on it then it won't be a vw option. It may be a dealer option but it would not have been a VW specific type. If that makes sense?

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Yes youre correct by saying glass, admittedly quite new to MK1's so appreciate all the help and advice.

Would seem the glass sunroofs were some sort of dealer offer after purchase, suppose the phone could be a similar scenario. Just wish I could at least find evidence to match.

Back to the top
Has it got the dealer stickers on it still? If so it might be worth seeing if they are still around.

I'm presuming there is no invoice in the history saying 'VW fitting of phone and sunroof' or anything?  :lol:

I wouldn't worry about it, get an old car phone off ebay and chuck in the centre console. It'll look like its always been there and add some 80's cool  :thumbs:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Dealers fitted glass sunroofs, certainly in 1985 when I had a Polo, Britax Was a common make. But all through 80s aftermarket glass roofs were all the rage.

Definitely not a factory fit mobile though, but again it could have been fitted by first owner early in cars life, but it would have been massively expensive.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
yep factory fit roof would be the metal slide unit same as a GTI has. glass is either aftermarket or dealer fit. same goes for the roof aerial, phone systems were not factory fit either!

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Glass pop up sun roofs were the thing to have in the 80's….  a bit like "blingy" bigger/wider wheels are now a days..    :lol:In the 90's bee sting aerials was the craze… 

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
100% not a factory telephone aerial….mobile phones weren't actually functional until 1983ish so very unlikely VW tested, fitted and sold them from factory!  
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.