Skip navigation

1991 MK1 Cabi Won't Start

Back to the top

Fully charged battery and gasoline

Hi everyone so I own a 1991 MK1 VW Cabi and it has been sitting for the past four months over the winter in the garage not started. As it's starting to warm up a bit I decided to start it up to prepare it's for the spring/summer season. The car was working perfectly fine before it was parked. The battery was dead even though it was unhooked before it was parked so we jump started the car and it ran for about 20 min before she died. We assumed that it was due to lack of gasoline as she didn't have much in her when she was parked. We have now filled her up and charged her battery fully but she doesn't want to start any more. She cranks and you can tell she wants to start but just wont. Any suggestions on why?

Back to the top
Which type of fuel system do you have, Digi1, digi2, carbed?  Have you checked the fuel pressure, and Vacuum lines, is it in time?…..

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Never a good idea to leave a metal fuel empty when the car is parked up over the winter as rust will form in the fuel tank if the car is left in a garage unless you have a nice heated garage or car cocoon.
If the tank is full of petrol there is less exposed metal to rust.

Could be you have a fuel blockage if you did run it dry?

As Briano1234 said helpful if we know what fuel system you have as that makes alot of difference what you need to look at do next….  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.