Skip navigation

Can someone tell me what engine i have in my mk1 (pics provided)

Back to the top

What engine is this in my mk1?

Dear MK1 experts,

I have recently inherited a mk1 golf gti lhd convertable.
Can somebody please tell me what engine is this, is it a standard golf gti 1.8 mk1 engine? The car originally came from Spain, with plenty of miles on it.

I purchased a Haynes manual for the mk1 and the engines it covers is nothing like mine.
The issue is the car has not started in years, and even though she starts up she idles with a slight splutter, and every 20 seconds or so  the idle drops then picks up again.
i am not driving the car, i just want to get it idling smoothly, and my background is restoring old rs turbos.

I have provided pictures, any advice would be greatly appreciated. 20180718_154212.jpg 20180718_154203.jpg 20180718_154149.jpg

Back to the top
It's a 1.8 Gti engine but you have digifant fuel injection system which was fitted some of the last UK cars as most Gti have k-jet in the uk.
USA and Europe seem to have digifant fuel injection system on most later cars.

You car even has power steering which no UK car had.

If you want info on the fuel injection system you will need the Mk2 Golf Haynes manual as the Mk2 Golf Gti had digifant fuel injection as standard from 1987 ish I think…..

Briano1234 has lots of guides on digifant, there is a link in his signature.

The basic engine block and running gear is all the same as k-jet cars it just the head, fueling and some electrical parts differ.

If you look at this link you can see the Mk2 Golf Gti engine bay, the intake is on the other side but the injection system is very similar to yours.

http://www.newoldcar.co.uk/index.php/99-featured-cars/volkswagen/1705-featured-cars-volkswagen-golf-1990-volkswagen-golf-gti-mk2-ref-248

Bentley do a work shop manual that will cover US cars and digifant, power steering and air con.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Old fuel, rusty filler neck, rust and dirt in the tank is common problems with cars sat for a long time, have a look in the fuel tank to check its clean.

Lots of threads on this subject or again Briano1234 has a guide.  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
Thanks for your input and advice, I will purchase the Haynes for the mk2 and further investigate the condition of the fuel tank.

Back to the top

One_Nine_RS said

Thanks for your input and advice, I will purchase the Haynes for the mk2 and further investigate the condition of the fuel tank.

Get thee a Bentley, one of the tablets given to Moses.

I would be the o-ring on the back of the throttle body next to the firewall (7mm brass screw) is loose and that you can turn it by hand,  if that is the case then the 0-ring is bad and needs to be replaced.  Count the turns it takes to remove it, then get a new one and return it to that count.  Prior to insertion use ptfe tape (teflon) on the threads of the screw only.

Vacuum leaks are the Bane of the engines you have a Digifant II system and possible fuel pressure issue.  
do the residual pressures tests on the Digifant, that will tell you if you are running right.

Your engine or car has 2 fuel pumps, is there a loud whine at the rear right hand side of the car @ the wheel arch?

Vacuum leaks and Timing…. well fuel pressures as well.

If you haven't replaced your Battery to frame and frame to engine grounds, I would strongly urge you to do that now….. It prevents a lot of gremlins showing up.

No AC, and no rain divertor in the rain tray…. not a good thing for Power windows… make sure your rain drains are kept clear.  Oh and use Dexron III in your power steering res, it looks low,  Seafoam ATF cleaner works well as it also quiets a noise rack and pump.

Your ISV Idle Stabilization valve isn't secured to the bracket and that shouldn't be allowed to freely move about.  You can use wire ties to secure it to the black bracket, until you can get the rubber donut.

027133459A number 6
Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 7.11.46 AM.png

https://www.vwheritage.com/027133459a-holder-for-isv-control-valve-for-digifant-engines-vw-spare

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Briano1234

If there's one picture I never get tired of, it's Moses holding the mighty Bentley.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
What the rain divertor looks like installed.  It prevents debris and rain from getting on to the heater blower, and flooding the insides of the car if your rain drains are plugged.

free running rain drain with the hoses re-routed to the grommet.

heater007-1 (1).JPG

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
^^^^^ This man knows his stuff.  :thumbs:  ^^^^

Back to the top
Wasn't feeling great, you need to get a set of Radiator card to increase the efficiency of the radiator and prevent it from re-cycling engine compartment air at a stop

www.cabby-info.com is a great place to get to know.
She has templates there on the radiator cards.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
ok, Here is how mine looked when I bought it with the blown head gasket, no radiator cards. Vw hosing that hung in your way.

original.JPG

original1.JPG

After a few weeks or tiding it up and cleaning things.
Note the Brass Radiator car at the top.
tidiedup.JPG

If you look at the original you will see the ISV valve that should be secured to the black bracket behind the valve cover….by the rubber donut….

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
better shot of the isv secured. vcgasket040.JPG

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

ok, Here is how mine looked when I bought it with the blown head gasket, no radiator cards. Vw hosing that hung in your way.

original.JPG

original1.JPG

After a few weeks or tiding it up and cleaning things.
Note the Brass Radiator car at the top.
tidiedup.JPG

If you look at the original you will see the ISV valve that should be secured to the black bracket behind the valve cover….by the rubber donut….
Alright matey I have the same engine but don’t have that thick pipe that runs near your timing belt what’s it for ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
I have A/C and that is the low pressure hose. The high is below it on the strut tower.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Ah right ok just been looking at the AC set up there’s one for sale on eBay thinking of purchasing it, is it easy to install?

Back to the top
Not if it wasn't originally, If it wasn't then you need heater box, different heater core, evaporator, compressor bracket, different alternator bracket top, If you have power steering you need the brackets for that as well as condenser, hoses, drier, and expansion valve, as well as the blower motor and covers that are different and well a few servos that are either expensive or NLA. as well as the hi and low pressure sensors, the entire wiring harness, and relay…Then you need the controller and 4 speed fan switch…. new heater control face plate….. Doable, but it took me a year and a half to convert a friends GTI from Westy to Cabriolet….oh, and the 30Amp fuse holder that you have to install in the fuse panel as well.

Almost easier to buy a new one that has a/c that doesn't work.

Oh, I forgot the 2 speed radiator fan, I am probably missing other things as well as drilling a hole through the floor to allow the heater box condensate to drain, and the cover for the drain line on the heater box…. Alot of the a/c delete threads that you see don't include the heater box or other things…oh and I forgot the new rain divertor as the A/C equipped cars is a longer version.  Then if you don't clean the rain drains you can get water migration on your window controller.  And Possibly cutting the hole in the rain tray to accommodate the Fresh/recirc air vent extension, and the Vacuum balls.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Yeah I’ll think I’ll swerve that then mate and just put the roof down haha, sounds a bit too much for my liking cheers for the heads up

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

better shot of the isv secured. vcgasket040.JPG

Thanks Briano1234,

I really appreciate your help and advice, saved me hours of trying to work things out. will let you know how i get on…

Back to the top
Hi Briano

Do you know where these vacuum lines go?
In the below picture I have 3 vacuum lines, the purple one is connected to the rear of the inlet, the other two have been t pieced together and then connect to the large vacuum line that goes to the servo.

20180731_160938.jpg

On the other end of these vacuum lines they seem to go through a hole in the inner wing,  is that where they are supposed to go? the lines are frayed and I have purchased new threaded lines to replace them. the other vacuum line with the rubber end connected to the upper side of the airbox housing is this correct?
20180731_174637.jpg

And can you please tell me where the vacuum lines go because I have seen online that they are supposed to connect to the air box.

I have no connections to the bottom of my airbox, should they be connected to something, any advice would be greatly appreciated. 20180731_174554.jpg

Back to the top
Screen Shot 2018-07-31 at 1.47.30 PM.png

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.