Skip navigation

Car wont start

Back to the top

'88 clipper cab starting problem

Hi all

I recently bought an '88 clipper cab. Drove it home and parked it in the garage for a few weeks. Came out one saturday and it wouldn't start, obviously i went out and bought a battery as the one in the car was old and dead. Car started fine and no more problems…or so i thought. A week later i get in it to go for a drive and it wont start. After a lot of problem solving it was the starter. Its probably the original and seemed to have completely died. Got a replacement and still doesnt start. Turn the key and nothing happens. Is there something im missing? Is it something simple as a relay or the wiring?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Back to the top
When you say it won't start what does it do?
Any clicking from the solenoid on the starter motor?
Did the car turn over on the old starter motor?

What happens if you take the old starter motor and connect it to a battery, does it spin?

Is the connections on the starter motor the same, are the connections to the starter motor on right?

Check the main earth cable?

Check all the fuses?

The ignition barrel can wear if someone has had a big bunch of keys hanging so try and wobble the key?

Do all the dash lights come on?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
There is no noise at all. No clicking from the solenoid on the new starter. The car ran on the old starter but failed a bench test when i took it off

All the connections went back om the way i found them. Main cable from battery to starter, a small connector to the solenoid and a cable that seems to run from the alternator?

Where is the main earth cable located?

All of the fuses look ok.

There used to be a slight whirring noise when the key was turned which i assumed was the fuel pump priming. The noise no longer occurs

All of the dash lights come on and the general electrics seem ok

Back to the top

Car wont start

My 83 Mk1 GTI has a starter relay. Part number is 171937503A. I ordered a new one from VW heritage yesterday!  At first they didn’t recognise the part number and had to cross reference it on another system.

I had a similar problem to yours.

Also had to order a fuel pump relay which was full of moisture.

And a new fuse box!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Years ago the switch under the ignition key barrel failed intermittently and gave symptoms of a failing/dead start motor.

Quite cheap and easy to replace, don't believe the Haynes book of lies, there is no need to drill any thing, unbolt and remove steering wheel, plastic cowling, washer/indicator stalks and then use an Allen key to remove the alloy housing that holds the key barrel and switch. All straight forward bolt on/off.

(see lower link for pics of alloy house and switch location)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/VW-T25-CAMPER-TRANSPORTER-VAN-IGNITION-STARTER-SWITCH-1-6D-1-7D-1-9-2-0L-2-1-A66/1027018751?iid=162869006091&chn=ps&adgroupid=43920634520&rlsatarget=pla-359427365517&abcId=1063846&adtype=pla&merchantid=9482924&poi=&googleloc=1006496&device=c&campaignid=797602469&crdt=0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK1-MK2-TYPE-19-GENUINE-IGNITION-SWITCH-KEY-171-905-851-8V-16V-/323214702210

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.