Skip navigation

Suitable engine replacement

Back to the top
I have recently purchased a 1.5GL Auto, it's a project and I suspect that the engine is seized, if it is then i'm considering replacing it with a more modern engine, does anyone have experience of doing this and which engine did you use? Also, how difficult is it to change it from an auto to a manual transmission?

Back to the top
A bit more info here on engine conversion.

Engine Conversions - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Auto to manual gearbox you will need a different steering rack, gear linkages, gear stick, different pedals, clutch cable and of cause a gearbox and gearbox mount.

Not done it my self so not sure if that's all you need?

With your old engine pour a little oil down the spark plugs holes to see if that helps free it up and only turn the engine over by hand, (19mm socket on the crank) DO NOT TRY and start it on with the key!

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Why would the rack change Mark?

Back to the top
Because it has the gear change brackets on it presumably,  which may not be needed anyway depending on g/box.

Back to the top

abfmk1 said

Because it has the gear change brackets on it presumably,  which may not be needed anyway depending on g/box.

Ah ok, I was thinking modern = cable change, makes sense now.

Back to the top
Thanks very much, I have tried to turn the engine on the crank previously without any sign of movement, I'll try it again after using oil as you have suggested, thanks also for the link

Back to the top
If the car is in Park, you may or may not get the engine to turn, if the autoslusher is broken, or the gearing isn't in Neutral, then it may be hard to turn the engine…..

Removing the plugs and spraying some WD-40, or PB-Blaster in the holes may help as well….

It is really really hard to Seize a Gasser, but it is possible.

I am partial to Digifant, I understand them better than CIS.
I also understand Carbs better than CIS, shoot I understand Diesel's Better as well.
CIS is from the "Devil" LOL…

I would look for a 1.8, or a 1.6 or better a 1.9TD…  :)

The auto is a good tranny, but alas it has a negative air displacement ratio when it comes to Mileage.
A lot of folks on this side of the pond Swap them out.  (makes mine more valuable)… :)

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
I think there's also a few guides/ideas on youtube on how to unseize a car engine.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
I think diesel is a better option to pour into the Cylinders to try to 'Unseize' an engine.

Back to the top
Lots of help peeps thanks very much, I've put some oil down each plug hole, i'll leave it overnight then try to turn the engine again with a socket on the crank.
The car has been standing for 5 years before I bought it a few weeks ago, it was going to be a donor car for my other mk1 but it's in reasonably good condition all things considered so i'm now thinking of doing it up  :)

Back to the top
Fingers crossed it should free up, the engine currently in my Golf was sat in my brothers garden under some tarpaulin for 4 years and that was ok after taking the head off and a check over..

Back to the top
$_57 (3).JPG

this started after being stood for 20 years

Back to the top
external_url_proxyh.jpg

1.6 injection too, who says k jet is unreliable

Back to the top
wow good work sporttrucker,  i'm hoping it'll move but no luck yet, I tried oil down the plug holes without success, I then tried WD40 with the same result, I'm going to remove the rocker cover at the weekend and dribble some oil in there.
I am already preparing myself for an engine and gearbox replacement, something simple and well practiced, I don't want complicated, any suggestions anyone?

Back to the top
What year is your car?

Back to the top
Thanks to your help I have managed to get the engine to turn over on the crankshaft nut, I can now check over the ancilliaries. change fluids and after checking for a spark i'll try to start it.
Any other advice before I turn that key would be much appreciated. Thanks again, John.

Back to the top
It's a 1982 model Mark.

Back to the top
New cambelt might be a good idea or have a dam good look at the old one and don't run the car for to long if just seeing if it starts then replace the cam belt.

A sperate can of fuel feed into the fuel pump if you have not looked in the fuel tank, you don't want old fuel or bits of rust in the fuel system.

Remove the rotor arm and turn the engine over a few times to build up oil pressure and get oil around the engine, refit rotor arm and give it a try.  :thumbs:

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.