Skip navigation

Swap from mk1 1.1 to 2.0 8v from golf mk3

Back to the top

Swap from mk1 1.1 to 2.0 8v from golf mk3

Hello guys,

I would like to ask you for informations. I have a golf mk1 (1975, 5door), originally there was an engine 1,1 but I bought this car without it. In garage I have an engine from golf mk3 2.0 85kw with a transmission and control unit.

I have driveshafts with kinetic joints from mk1 and from mk3 but I don't know what I have to use.

In my opinion I would like to use an engine from mk3 with transmission, internal kinetic joints from mk3, but driveshafts and outer kinetic joints from mk1.

Could anybody tell me if my thinking is correct or could you tell me what is need to do?

Back to the top
first up you need to chop the bracket off the right side chassis leg, flip it and re-weld in the 1.5-1.8 position and also fill in a missing section of steel to complete (or get a bracket from a donor car)

you need a mk1 golf 1.5-1.8 driveshafts, if you use the mk3 gearbox then you need post-84 cabrio/scirocco GTI ones with 100mm inner cvs or convert the gearbox to 90mm with mk2/3 1.6/n/a diesel flanges

you need mk1 1.5-1.8 mount bracket, gearstick and all linkages to get the engine bolted in plus complete exhaust system. I would try to get a proper GTI 4-2-1 type manifold and downpipe with the 6 studs and nuts rather than the 'toilet bowl' setup with the clips either side

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.