Skip navigation

Golf cabriolet roof not retracting

Back to the top
Hello,

This is my first post so hopefully it's in the right place. I've got a 1990 Cabriolet but the roof is refusing to retract. Hope someone can help.

I can hear the motor for the roof working but the roof isn't moving. I've looked in the boot and can see the reservoir for the hydraulic fluid but have no idea how to fill it. With the roof in the up position the fluid level looks like it's at max but from what I've read the measurement needs to be taken with the roof down? Is it possible to retract the roof manually to check the level? I've purchased a bottle of hydraulic fluid from VW so really hoping it just needs topping up.

Thanks,
Steve

Back to the top
Take the cover off the side, about 5 plastic clips that have a center that you can push through, then remove the panel.  The clip center pins can be found on the inside after you get the panel off, where as the one for the front of the trunk usually falls in between the rear seat cushion and the pan bottom.

On the pump you will find a "t" shaped handle like a "jack" this is rotated to manually open or close the top. On the top of the pump is a Brass bolt if you open that you top the fluid off via that hole.

The pump itself has been known to have the impeller break free on the shaft of the pump.  This can easily be repaired.

Usually if you hear the motor spin, and you aren't leaking fluid, then this is the culprit.

http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/RepairingPowerTopPump.pdf

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.