Skip navigation

Mk1 1600 GTi value

Back to the top
Hello all

I've been offered a V reg 1600, Mars Red, completely original but doesn't have Tarantula wheels (should it?). Hasn't run since 1999, 100k + miles,  filthy, with some rust but body essentially sound I think (I haven't inspected it yet). Needs restoring, engine rebuild etc. Any thoughts on value - what I should be paying?

Thanks

Back to the top
How long is a piece of string…….
You are asking a very tricky question…
How much do you want to pay for the car?

Not run for 17 years….  is the engine seized ?
If you see some rust on the outside you will find plenty more.
How has the car been stored?
Is all the trim there and intact?

Car with no MOT, rust and none runner to be trailer away without seeing it….. £100 is what I would pay.    

A bit more info and pictures will help with us guessing a price. I think there is a guide on this site about buying Mk1 golfs.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Thanks. It's not seized, it has been stored and is complete with all trim and interior.

Back to the top
If you could post some pics it might help. Off the top of my head -as described 1.6 Gti- £250-£500? If complete, to get it into your hands, but make sure! you do a thorough inspection as there are a lot of rubbish cars being sold to a lot of people at stupid prices…Only a guessed price though (1.6 are more collectable I think)
If your able to devote the time and money I would give it a go.

Back to the top
How badly do you want it and how much money do you have? How good are you at restoring cars? Can you weld, do bodywork, paint, and rebuild engines?

All those questions will tell you how much to pay for it. Bear in mind it'll probably be worth less than you'll have into it once it's done.

But we do it for the love, not the profit  :thumbs:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
I've just started another thread pointing out 2 restoration projects on ebay over the weekend made just short of £5,000 each so there's your answer……

They were allegedly the more desirable (allegedly) 1.8 Campaign models but if the V-reg is a series 1 1.6, think the seller could think of a f-ing big number and put it on ebay

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
V-reg would be a small light series 1, even a rotten project car would be 3k+
Put some pics up when you can
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.