Skip navigation

1988 Clipper speakers

Back to the top
This has probably been covered many, many times so if there is a thread please point me in the right direction!

Does anyone know the sizes for the front speakers? I've measured the inside of the stock speaker grill/housing and its a 4x6, is this correct?

Also the rear speakers have been fitted with a 3.5" speaker. Can anyone recommend anything slighty bigger or a 3.5" but has a shallow magnet. The current ones are being hit by the window when its wound down

Thanks

Back to the top
The fronts are 4X6 but not all 4X6's are equal.  I bought a set for my 90, and I can't remember which brand, but I had to trim the steel frame, and correct the mounting holes so they would fit.

For the rears It is a Crapshooot on what you can do and how they are made.  I think IIRC I found a nice set at Radioshack, but that was 12years ago.

You are going to hit the speaker when you roll the rear window down, and on the 91.5-93 They increased the rears to 4X6 with external speaker grilles that allowed you more room in the rear….. But then again the rear windows may hit.
doorspeaker.JPG

To accommodate the window cranks they added and extender to them so the crank would clear the grille.

You can buy then in different lengths.

windowcrank.png

If you stay oem, then you will need to just measure them.  The rears are gonna be hit with the window mech no matter what you do, but you take it with a grain of salt.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
4x6 for the front speakers in a 1988 car with the smaller side pockets.

The rear window does not go all the way down, not sure what speakers or price you want to pay be lots of info on line for speakers and sizes of the magnets if you are sure the magnet is to big.

Front speakers I've got, lacking in bass but that's down to poor design and speaker placement but a amp and sub in the boot sorts that problem out…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alpine-150W-2Way-4-x6-4x6-SXE-Car-Door-Shelf-Speakers-/371057192333?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10

My rear speakers are some Sony ones but I can't remember which ones….

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
I have come across a lot of 4x6s that claim to fit and a lot look like they dont due to the brackets being in the wrong place. I'll have to keep looking for those, or modify as Briano1234 says

The rears are currently 2 inches deep and no longer work, either due to faulty wiring or by being hit with the window. I did however find these which have a depth of 1.6 inches. They may not be powerful but without modifying the available space they should work?

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/vibe-slick-4-v5-speakers

Back to the top
The 6x4's i've recently changed to in my front doors are MAC Audio & they fit… i've got an '87 - small bumper of course :thumbs: they replaced what was 'Pioneers' - they used to be the speaker to have in the 80's lol (my brother told me :lol:)

I've got the original Blaupunkt stereo, so the speakers are not really banging it out you know :lol: I've changed the original dub rears as well as the cones were split, dried out more like.. 

Back to the top
Mark1gls - the 4x6 alpines are the ones ive been looking at. If they have decent sound without an amp/sub then they'll do for now.

The matching 3.5" speakers are also much shallower than the current ones fitted. They stop the window from winding down by another half an inch, its not much but its been damaging the magnets and they dont work. The dodgy wiring also doesnt help!

Back to the top
So adjust the rear window stop.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.