Skip navigation

Mk2 Golf 9" brake servo wanted

Back to the top

Wanted please

Hi guys

Looking to buy a 9" servo if anyone is one? Mk2 Golf 16v fitment for my pending 256mm brake upgrade

Cash waiting 

Take it easy ; )

Back to the top
You can fit a mk3 servo - it is slightly more complex as you have to cut the end off the Mk3 version and thread the rod to fit the clevis link. I went down that route as Mk3 servos are a lot cheaper than the Mk2 version.

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
Would you consider selling yours? Or modding one for me if I pay you?

Take it easy ; )

Back to the top
Hi Nick,
I'm not selling mine - I'm trying to put the damn think back together, not take bits off it : )

If you got hold of one, I could do it - I've got the cutting die. Not sure how I'd go about getting the measurement, I'd need to think about that. I do have my original servo so could base it on that, but the clevis pin thin is screwed on to the new one (fitted).

Don't ask me exactly what Mk3 servo you need - I can't remember - but there is bound to be a post on here somewhere that addresses that problem. Have a search and then hit up ebay. You run the same risk as anyone else with a used servo - it might be buggered (I'm nowhere near being able to test mine!),  and if it turns out to be, and you've had it modded, you won't be able to return it.
If you find one and you want me to have a go then let me know. I don't think I'd charge you - that could get a bit awkward if something goes wrong, but if you were happy, you could donate to a charity for me.

Back to the top
Dont know which ones but some mk3 golf servos only have 2 fixings on the back, i would rather have the 4 as mk1,s have..

Back to the top
Theres a Mk3 servo conig to me in the post - thinking i might have a go at modifying it myself..  Can anyone remember what thread size and rod length is required?

Thanks

Take it easy ; )

Back to the top
If you can wait until tomorrow I'll get some info together for you. For starters you need a good m10x1.5 die and holder.

Back to the top
Reasonably priced but can't comment on quality https://www.ukdrills.com/taps-and-dies/circular-dies/hss-circular-dies

I've bought drills and taps from them before and they were good though. Proper name for the holder is a die stock.

Back to the top
Nick,

What I can't remember is if the measurement from the servo mounting face (e.g. where the studs are) to the where the rod comes out is the same on the mk1 and mk3 servo.
Dimension A in the diagrams below. If the dimension is the same you can use the orange measurement (same as in my photo). If it is NOT the same then you need to use the green measurement (which is a bit trickier).

You need to take all the measurements as shown below:

Servo1.JPG
Servo2.JPG
From memory you'll cut the Mk3 rod just before the taper finishes. This actually makes it easier to get the thread cutting started.

As mentioned, if dimension A is the same on both servos then you measure like this.

servo3.jpg

One of the challenges is trying to hold the rod on the Mk3 servo whilst cutting the thread as there are no flats on it for a spanner. Guess you could file some flats. I ended up using some mole grips.

When you are cutting the thread, you need to make sure you keep the die square so the thread is even. Use a bit of oil and try not to cut too much in one go - you'll do a full turn on, then half turn back . Might be worth checking Youtube for thread cutting how-to.

Once you've cut the thread, fit the clevis thingy back on and get it set to the original measurement and you are good to go.

The servo I have only had 2 mounting bolts instead of 4 - didn't bother me, clearly it is good enough for the MK 3 Golf.

I'd do the modification before painting it (if you are going to).

Good luck!

J

Back to the top
paceman is that wonderful diagram applicable to a mk2 16v servo as well?

What sort of accuracy is needed here? Is a ruler enough or is it more critical?

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

When the steering wheel was first put into use in automobiles, it was called the whip. The term has now been generalised to classify any automobile.

Back to the top
I don't see why not. Ultimately you want to make sure that the distance between the mounting face of the servo to the end of the clevis is the same as it is on the original servo set up. I think there is a how-to on fitting a 16v servo.
Ruler is fine - you can make fine adjustments (if required) on the main linkage but it shouldn't really be necessary.

Back to the top
There's a locking nut and the clevis can be screwed in and out, so realistically you have about 10mm of adjustment so you don't need to be that accurate. I've even heard of people who haven't even but any thread off a 16V thread (which is ~10mm longer), just screwed it all the way in and made other adjustments as needs be, or lived with the brake pedal being slightly the wrong height.

Back to the top
Perfect. Thanks guys.

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

When the steering wheel was first put into use in automobiles, it was called the whip. The term has now been generalised to classify any automobile.

Back to the top
big_nick Interested to know how you are getting on with this?

J

Back to the top
I ended up with a mk3 servo off eBay for 28 quid.

At some point in the past somebody had spilled brake fluid on the servo so the paint was bubbling in some places.  
 I put a wire wheel in my drill and took all the old paint off the front and back and then gave it 6 coats of Hammerite. 

With the hammerite dry I cut a 10x1.5 thread into the rod, and progress stopped at that point.

I ordered a new brake fluid reservoir to match my new 22mm servo which is still in the post, and the 14" wheels I need to fit to the car to cover the new discs are currently with the powdercoating company down the road.

Need to order discs and pads too, but overall we're seeing a good level of progress.

Take it easy ; )

Back to the top
Well you got the thread cut - I'd call that a result!

Back to the top
Dry fitted the master to the servo now the paint is dry and there's a nasty vacuum leak where the gasket on the brand new MC doesn't seal to the less than perfectly flat face of the servo.  P1ss and bu66er!!

Last edit: by big_nick

Take it easy ; )
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.