Skip navigation

Engine parts

Back to the top
Please forgive my ignorance firstly!! 

I am looking for the parts missing from the top of the engine block. It is for a 1980 1.6 GTI. Hopefully the image will help. Please let me know what you have.  F8E0534F-5EDC-40CD-946A-D2987E7044D2.jpeg

Back to the top
What's the number on the head, look from the front near the cam belt. Its missing the camshaft and caps. If it's the same as a normal engine then the splash tray on top of the camshaft and the rocker cover are also missing.

Back to the top
Caps are matched to the engine, right? And after a while, wear into their position and the cam?

It might be more trouble-free long-term to obtain an entire cylinder head?

Back to the top
Your head is a early type with shims as it has 5 cam caps, so you are also missing the shims and buckets, the main problem being able to measure the gap between the camshaft and shims as you don't have a starting point to work out the gap… with a cold engine you need 0.15mm - 0.25mm on inlet and 0.35mm - 0.45mm on exhaust so you may need to buy a few shims and swap them about to get the right gap for the valve clearances.

I don't think you can fit a later hydraulic tappets cam shaft to a early head.

looking at the all the little washers on the open head and general condition  I guess you are removing the head to see what's fell inside the engine?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

Engine parts

It’s all in the Haynes manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top

Vic said

What's the number on the head, look from the front near the cam belt. Its missing the camshaft and caps. If it's the same as a normal engine then the splash tray on top of the camshaft and the rocker cover are also missing.

I shall have a look next time I'm in the yard 

mark1gls said

Your head is a early type with shims

Yes it is an early one, which may make it more difficult. The parts have been removed previously and are no longer with the car unfortunately. Think long term its engine out and rebuild job but obviously still need the parts! Haynes manual may be worth the investment then, covers series 1 too?

Back to the top

Engine parts

I have a early splash guard if needed. I also have camshaft etc but mines from a 1.6 carb not sure how different a gti is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
1.6 carb engines do have a different cam shaft to the GTi's. It will fit but the engine will be down on BHP.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.