Skip navigation

SOLD 1987 Mk1 Golf Cabriolet - 1.8 Clipper (small bumper)

Back to the top

See below.

Thanks for looking - decided to put my Golf up for sale due to lack of time to enjoy and improve, and to make way for a new project..

64 honest photos for you to check out here - https://www.flickr.com/gp/149377023@N05/m1sF74

Bought in 03/2015 as I had a Mk1 itch to scratch, it's been great fun in the meantime but, as it's been boringly reliable, it's also found its way to the back of the workshop as I concentrated on my 205.  In fact, when you check out the MoT history you'll see I covered <140 miles in the last two years, and as the MoT station is a 48 mile round trip, I've actually done less than 50 miles for pleasure!

Mot history link here; https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

This year's advisories as follows;

- Fuel Pipe/s corroded ()
- Oil leak, but not excessive engine (8.4.1 (a) (i))
- Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 ©)
- Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material os front to rear (1.1.11 ©)
- Front both front brakes slightly binding
- Offside Front Brake pad(s) wearing thin (1.1.13 (a) (ii))
- Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge worn thin on inner edges (5.2.3 (e))
- Nearside Front (brake) hose damaged/perished
- Offside Rear lower inner wheel arch/sill holed and corroded
- spare wheel floor holed

Whilst I knew from previous MoTs that the boot floor was a little thin, it was disappointing to see the arch / sill was holed, as it's been dry stored during my ownership and never mentioned previously (same garage).  As you can see from the pics though, other than a couple of tiny blisters, she is very sound and superb for a 30 year old.  on the subject of the negative points, I'll try and list all those that come to mind (and cannot be seen from the pics);

- Paint is poor, namely on the bonnet and offside (look closely).  It's clearly had a replacement bonnet and paint on the offside at some point, and for some reason this is now heavily scratched / crazed as you can see from the pics.  I had planned to cut this back but again was too busy with other projects, so budget some time for this or paintwork depending on your requirements.
- Engine has an oil leak from the rocker cover gasket (new one included in the spares package) at least.  It runs really strongly and sweetly but also puffs the occasional bit of smoke, so suspect valve seals are on the cards at some point (certainly not urgent).
- Gearbox has a VERY slight second gear crunch when cold - fine once warm, and a new bottle of syncromesh fluid included for the planned oil change which will hopefully improve things no end.
- Heater fan switch inoperative.
- Horn button inoperative (stopped working this year) so a temporary switch installed for the MoT (can be removed without trace).
- One of the driveshafts makes a slight clicking noise.
- Main beam dash light typically dim.
- Colour change is recorded (HPI report included).  This was done on 29/06/1989, and went from 'Blue' to 'Aluminium'.  Well, as you can see from the pics the car wears it's original colour (and data sheet) stating paint code LK5U, which is Arctic Blue Metallic!  I chose to believe this was a jobsworth change when someone decided it couldn't possibly be Blue!

Anyway, some positives;

- Engine runs really nicely - typical noisy hydraulic tappet soon disappears (and no doubt due to lack of use)..
- No knocks or bangs from suspension and steering.
- Bulkhead reinforced where clutch cable passes through.
- Weber carb conversion with manual choke.
- Vinyl hood in great condition with no splits or tears (new in 2012).
- Very minimal rust with none around fuel filler.
- Boringly reliable.
- New spares included.
- Unmolested example, including original dealer plates.
- Rear three-point seatbelt conversion.
- Blue hood bag included.
- Looks amazing from 20 feet away!

Spares package includes (all new); - Haynes manual (x2 different ones)- Cambelt kit- Water pump- Oil filter- Spark plug leads- Aerosol paint (three stage)- Rocker cover gasket- Spare seat guides- Syncromesh fluid- Rear spring top mounts
- Lights on warning buzzer (eBay special)

Current mileage is 129,739, though this may go up by a few depending on if I take a last few drives..  History is none existent - promised by the previous owner but never materialised, but all receipts from my ownership included.  11 former keepers.

So, there you have it.  A perfectly usable classic which is ideal for someone with more time to tinker with the odds and ends it will benefit from (but doesn't necessarily stop you from enjoying in the meantime.  A superb base for refurbishment or modification - use with confidence this summer and get stuck in over winter.

Sensibly priced at SOLD, considering all of the above, for quick and easy sale - hagglers beware!  The car is stored at my workshop near Ely but can also be made available for viewings at my home in Bury St Edmunds.

Please message me if interested.

Last edit: by barneys66

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.