Year of manufacture: 1982
Mileage: 270,000
Price: £4,995  
Contact details: PM on here please
Condition: Solid, needs cosmetic finishing  
Service history: Various receipts from over the years
Mot expiry Date: 11/11/2019

Overview

Bear with me, this is a long advert but should tell you all that you need to know. No offers on here please - if you're seriously interested, have a read of this, contact me and come and see it.

This is the private sale of a solid, MOT'd MK1 having had a lot of time and money spent on it and is fun to drive too with 145bhp, but it is in need of some cosmetic finishing. I originally purchased this MK1 back in June 2014 when I was trading classic cars. It was an unfinished project and had been off the road for three years. I no longer trade and in May this year signed it over to myself, so I am two of the twelve owners. The car was registered on 16th December 1982.

The car has been a slow side project but has now had a thorough mechanical overhaul along with a lot of welding completed, so coupled with being a non-sunroof MK1 offers to be a solid Golf with MOT until 11th November 2019. Don't let the near 270,000 miles on the clock put you off, as there's little of the car that's not been replaced!

The car is HPI clear and currently SORN so cannot be test driven on the road. However, where I store the car has 200m or so of yard space, so the car can be driven in all gears to prove all is as described.

IMG_1976.jpg

Mechanicals

The car is mechanically sound and is a little rocket! There's a dyno print in the history folder showing 145.5 bhp. Whilst there's no papers among all the old receipts showing what has been tweaked in the engine, the power is believable as the car really flies compared to a standard MK1.

This MK1 benefits from a set of quality AP Racing coil-overs all round - still in good condition and fully poly-bushed all round. The parts I have replaced include;

-   All fluids have been replaced
-   Alternator and cam belt (including tensioner)
-   Cam cover and gasket
-   Spark plugs, rotor arm, dizzy cap and ignition lead set
-   Brake pads and shoes are new, as well as one new wheel cylinder and a new caliper on the front. Discs have plenty of meat left on them
-   New rear brake lines
-   New starter motor
-   New battery
-   New radiator and temp. switch
-   New expansion tank and cap
-   Recon' powder coated fan shroud
-   Clutch cable
-   New main fuel hoses, including new hoses between the pump and accumulator
-   Replacement fuel accumulator
-   Full, new, standard GTI exhaust system, coupled to the existing 4-1 manifold

The only negative on the mechanical side is that 4th gear crunches. It does drive fine however. That said, included in the sale is a spare gearbox from a later MK1 Golf Convertible, with the taller 5th gear, that had approx. 80,000 miles on it.

IMG_2002.jpg
IMG_1997.jpg
IMG_2001.jpg

Body

A lot of time and money has been spent on getting the car to a solid state to pass the MOT. There's still some work to be done but overall this is a solid MK1 just needing cosmetic finishing. The work done is as follows;

-   Both rear beam body mounting areas replaced
-   Both rear outer and inner sills replaced, including rear jacking points which are now incredibly solid
-   OSR inner and outer arches replaced with new
-   Lower-rear panel replaced
-   Bonnet replaced with a new one, painted in Alpine White, matched to the existing paintwork
-   New waste line trim kit (The two sill trims are not fitted yet but included in the sale)
-   New CL front spoiler (A GTI one would get knocked off with the car being lowered!)
-   New front GTI badge. New rear badges are included in the sale but not fitted

The car has been previously repainted, to an average standard at best so there are some imperfections. However, there's a good thickness of paint on the car (circa 2mm) so there could be potential to wet sand and polish this back.

To finish this MK1 to make it perfect you would need to complete the following;

-   Dress and skim welds on OSR arch, sill repairs and lower-rear panel. (All currently in zinc primer)
-   NSR arch under the arch spat is mostly fibre glass. A new repair panel is supplied with the car for fitting
-   Both front jacking points are a little soft - I wouldn't use them - but both the sills and floors are fully intact. Something to be aware of rather than needing attention. You can jack off the wishbone mounts no problem
-   At minimum the car would need a partial respray of the sills, lower-rear quarters and lower-rear panel. Also, the wing tops down to the trim line need painting. As mentioned above, the bonnet is brand new and freshly painted
-   Finally, I have the black, GTI side-stripes and rear window surround sticker to go with the car for the new owner to fit

IMG_1977.jpg
IMG_1971.jpg
IMG_1967.jpg
IMG_1963.jpg
IMG_1965.jpg
IMG_1981.jpg
IMG_1982.jpg
IMG_1983.jpg
IMG_1984.jpg

Interior

Given the mileage of the car, the original front seats weren't the best! I managed to source second hand seats in good, not perfect, condition with the side bolster in a fairly good state and just one small hole on the lower-left bolster which can be seen in the photos.

Everything works in the car electrically - all lights etc. There's no stereo fitted but all the plugs/cables are pre-wired behind the blanking plate, as pictured. The rear wiper has previously been deleted. The remote operation of the driver's door mirror has broken but I have a replacement mirror with cable adjuster to be included in the sale.

Carpet and headlining are in good condition and there's some new floor mats in place too. The boot area is a little scuffed on the paint, the spare wheel is present, along with original parcel shelf with no speaker holes.

IMG_1986.jpg
IMG_1987.jpg
IMG_1988.jpg
IMG_1989.jpg
IMG_1990.jpg
IMG_1991.jpg
IMG_1992.jpg
IMG_1993.jpg
IMG_1994.jpg

Wheels and Tyres

All wheels are in good condition, appearing to have been previously refurbished. The tyres all have a good amount of tread on them, but they are the ones fitted to the car when I purchased it so are a good few years old now.

Summary

Overall this is a solid and fast MK1, mechanically sound, requiring some cosmetic finishing. I have other projects to focus on so simply don't have the time to do any more to the car now. Being MOT'd you could just enjoy as-is, or complete the mentioned works. The few parts required, as mentioned above, are included in the sale.

There's a folder full of old receipts, old MOTs, some tax discs and one set of keys. I have lots of photos of the car including the welding done - jacking points etc - so please ask if you'd like to see more.

With the extra power it's a real fun drive and handles really well on the AP Racing coil overs - a real drivers car!  I would recommend if you're a long way away, trailering the car home purely as it's not had any miles put on it since all the work has been done.

Sold as seen, no warranty implied or given.

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.