Skip navigation

'83 (late 82) MK1 GTI ABF conversion ceramic fusebox / fuel relay question

Back to the top
My project: 1996 ABF and DIGI ii ecu install in  my (late 82) '83 GTI, using the mk1/2 coil and TCI, as per RJ's previous recommendations.

My question, ill keep it brief:

I am basically 90% done with mapping out all the wiring….the only gap i have found in this process is my type of fusebox and Pump relay.

So the car used to have the DX kjet with the ceramic fusebox. now its got an abf. Im happy with most of the conversion so far, only hurdle is that im trying to hook up pin 6 from the abf ecu to the gnd pin of the relay coil, but it has the wire bridge on A3 and A5.

1. i want to use the 167 relay from the CE2 abf but it doesnt accept that style relay in location "L" on the ceramic fusebox, the blades are too wide for the socket(obviously a better current carrier)
2.I know that the coil and tach runs past A3/A5… do i just replace the original limiter relay with a 53 relay (multi purpose, lambda heater, aux, pump realay), i just cut the bridge between A3 and A5, and then run ecu pin 6 to A3. leave A5 open, This will allow the priming function with ign on, and continuously with cranking.
3. but will the tach still work with this mod?

or how would you guys do it?  i'd like to get rid of the stock 83 limiter relay and stick in something like a 53.. or a 2?

Thanks for your guidance on this.

Proposed: pin6.jpg

original 82 gti wiring mk1gti.JPG

Digi2 ABF wiring:
Digi 2 ABF.JPG

Last edit: by KZINGR

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.