Skip navigation

1978 GLS at auction

Back to the top

Back to the top

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
I like that mk1 C, looks a nice little car.

That mk2 (G436 EPL) sold at auction in December for about £14.5k plus the VAT plus the premium so about £18k all told 

And yes, you are right, prices do seem to still be on the climb 

Back to the top

JimB976 said

That mk2 (G436 EPL) sold at auction in December for about £14.5k plus the VAT plus the premium so about £18k all told

JimB976 said

Looks like the moral of the story is to buy at auction and save 25%….

This '87 GTI was sold at Buxton last summer for £5,700 (not sure if that included the commission)? I was vaguely interested before MK2s get like Campers and you need to be a wendy ball player to be able to afford one but it didn't have PAS.

It appeared on ebay with @£2,000+ mark up.

https://online.handh.co.uk/m/lot-details/index/catalog/87/lot/40939/

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1987-Mk2-VOLKSWAGEN-GOLF-GTI-1-OWNER-FROM-NEW-SOLD-/192668582846?hash=item2cdbf143be%3Ag%3A8%7E0AAOSwvupbqJZN%3Ark%3A10%3Apf%3A0&nma=true&si=Bk9n3ad6fwQH9%252BbB0hyXLg6lQcQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
My old Mk2 Gti came up on ebay the other week, I bought it for £650 back in 2010 and sold it a year later for £1100 after I fixed/replaced some bits of trim and touched up some of the paint work and a major service.

Still looks tidy but those car mats where new but horrible when I had the car, they should of changed them…
 wish I kept hold of that car but I just did not have the room and owning/running 2 other old VW's was just to expensive, the prices have gone out of my budget now a days.

That mk2 had power steering and all 4 windows was electric and central locking… height of luxury.. :-D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Mk2-Golf-GTI-8v-/113667232884?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=HP9SYttjQl7d3A2GdFANDiriJuo%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

Last edit: by mark1gls

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
The NJS car sold in auction about 3 years ago for around £8K as I recall. Uber low mileage makes it quite unique. If that were a GTI on that mileage who knows!?………

Back to the top
With the auction recently ending, apparently it sold for £12,375.

Back to the top
That is bonkers money… and the Mk2's too!

I love Mk2's…and am lucky enough to have bought over the years and kept 2 8V's, one std (a 58K gem), another one tuned to hell:lol:… a std16v and a std GTD (70K) and I love them all.
Its come as a shock that people are prepared to pay so much!! and even though it in theory helps me. I am sad that the average person is being priced out of what were good solid cars to drive and enjoy which were definately cool (though not as cool as a Mk1!!!!). Still, that's how it is at present.

There really is a bubble in classic cars, probably because its a good place to put any cash as people are not getting any interest at the bank and lots have lost fortunes to scams and other 'investments' -so the better choice is buy a classic, use it, and then any gain is TAX FREE!
Having said all that, there are loads of people I am sure who have gone in and got stung by buying a 'rare' classic without knowing what they were buying. How many heaps of junk have you seen for sale?

In reality these prices will I guess hold for the top cars, and happily there are still plenty of people who are willing/able to buy a sad rough Mk1/2, and, with a lot of work! and passion.. return these to health so that they can be enjoyed MORE than the ones that are already perfect.
In other words you don't have to pay silly money to live your dreams:thumbs:

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.