Skip navigation

Hi new here, need some help please

Back to the top
Hi everyone i am new to the vw scene, just bought mk1 golf gti to restore.
This is where i need the help, should it say gti on the log book as it just says golf, and the engine is stated as 1800 cc.
It was first registered on 23/03/1983 and it was first registration in the uk the same date, it also say on the log book that it was registered/used overseas. declared manufactured 1982.
i just want to know/check that it is an original gti and worth spending money on it, i want to resort it to original spec
If anyone could shed some light on this it would be appreciated, i am i sure i will have a lot more questions to ask as i said i am new to the vw scene and this is my first restoration.
Thanks in advance

Back to the top
If its the original engine it will be a GTI, don't think the 1.8 carb was used until the later in the 80s in the MK2/Cabrio. Being an import may exlain why its simply recorded a Golf on the V5? Also poss depends on what the dealer/importer described it as, swansea would just use that. He could have said it was an X-wing fighter and that would have ended up on the V5

As far as I'm aware the VIN is just a sequential number so can't be used to identify the type of Golf model

If the sticker is still in the boot, engine type will be DX.

Why is only a GTI worth restoring?

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Welcome along.

Both to the 'scene' and the club.

Sounds like an interesting history.

Stick up some pics and I'm sure the GTI aficionados will give you a hand to ensure it's a GTI.

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
The other GTI specific item that is a pretty definitive confirmation on a 1.8 GTI is the MFA trip computer and econometer in the dash clocks

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.