Skip navigation

Newbie- gti Cab, thinking of going back to stock suspension.

Back to the top

Hi and help

Hi all

I recently joined the club after buying a gti cabriolet in need of some love. I paid £1200 so thought it a bargain. I have spent the last month fixing oil leaks servicing and no end of botch job reversal. She is very solid (except for the dreaded scuttle) but after taking her for a spin around the block today I need to change the suspension.  I actually felt sick with all the bouncing down country lanes. Previous owner has fitted coil overs all round and I am thinking that back to stock is the best solution. However parts are expensive to do this.  So I hoped someone has advice. Does anyone have a set of stock suspension I can fit then upgrade over time?  I plan to use it for my daily so want to get the ride right before selling my current car. Thanks all. Jez image.jpg

Back to the top
Welcome along mucker.

Either keep your eyes open for a car breaking for changing back.

Alternatively try lifting the car on the coilovers and see if it's any better.

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Yes try a different setting on the Coilies. I did get a better ride by doing this but eventually changed it back to standard and sold the Coilies on.

Back to the top
Cheers both. Will do. I will try jacking it up to the max :-).  It was better when I went for a spin with the family in the car. I think the extra weight  helped with the bounce. I am now on the lookout for 4 bags of spuds to drive around with 

Back to the top
Yes bud, can see someone has had a play with your car previously (big bumper Kit on a C plate, Rear lenses…) try Raja Rahim on FB to see if he's got suspension - generally breaking a few Mk1s… or if you want new it's not that expensive at all for shocks/springs - depending on ya budget dude.. :thumbs: p.s. welcome too…

Back to the top
Hi. Thanks for the advice. Yeah the bumpers looked wrong to me as the rear doesn't fit one of the clips behind it.  I quite like them though so they can stay for now.  Rear lights also look more 90's than 80's :-)

I have wound up the coil overs but the car only went up a little and the ride became harsher as I compressed the springs a little. 

So all little jobs seem done now apart from the scuttle and the suspension. Better get it back on the road and have some fun

Back to the top
We had saved the old suspension when the Coilovers were fitted. When I went back to standard I bought new inserts for the front struts, new top mounts and new rear shocks. Struts and shocks from Euro Car Parts, Top mounts from VW Heritage.

Back to the top
Cheers. I have been looking at both those sites too. I think I will hold off till after Christmas as both the kids want computers so I had better behave 😄. 
Does everyone meet up as I see you are local.  It would be nice to have a pint and compare notes in the ny 

I go to dub freeze in Stafford every year, is the club there as I will introduce myself?

Back to the top
Hi, Haha, Kids hey ! Getting in the way of your restoration plans !  Fortunately mine have grown up and gone there separate ways. Miss them though !  As far as I know there haven't been any local meets. They have been mentioned in the Regional section. Don't know if the club puts a stand at Dubfreeze, but I don't recall seeing one when last there. We used to be regulars at that, not been for a year or two now.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.