Skip navigation

Buying a mk1

Back to the top
Hi guys I'm about to buy a mk1 golf I've wanted one since I was a teenager but want the right one!! I would like some opinions on this one please…. 49000 on the clock but no service history 🤔🤔🤔🤔 IMG_0061.PNG IMG_0062.PNG IMG_0067.PNG IMG_0070.PNG IMG_0071.PNG

Back to the top
From the photos it looks a very solid car, but the burning question will be how much is it going for?

If it was standard then the mileage would have more impact on the price, bit this is pretty modified so won't make as much difference unless it's meant that the dreaded rust has been kept at bay.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Also check the history carefully, there is no MOT history prior to 2017, which could suggest it's been off the road for over 10years plus it's still recorded as a blue car - could be a 200k wreck rebuilt with a more recent speedo for example, if you like what has Been done to it and the work seems if good quality then great, just ask lots of questions.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Cheers for the reply it's goin for 2800…. don't think there is an MOT before 2017 🤔 I will ask tho… said it was painted 2 years ago.. and I will check on the logbook if it's been changed colour 👍🏻👍🏻

Back to the top
I'd avoid that like the plague personally. 

If you're really tempted you need to molest it to death, it could be hiding so many horrors under that bodykit. 

Any photos before the paint job?

Back to the top
No pics before the paint job 😬 I have gave him a £100 deposit because I go on holiday on sat… he is goin to get it delivered to me it's from kilkady… it's on eBay at the minute for 3200  IMG_0068.PNG IMG_0069.PNG IMG_0076.PNG IMG_0079.PNG IMG_0082.PNG

Back to the top
No pics before the paint job 😬 I have gave him a £100 deposit because I go on holiday on sat… he is goin to get it delivered to me it's from kilkady… it's on eBay at the minute for 3200  IMG_0068.PNG IMG_0069.PNG IMG_0076.PNG IMG_0079.PNG IMG_0082.PNG

Back to the top
Looks quite solid under too, but as others have said, you need to have a look at it in person, photos can hide a lot!

Flick r - Flickr: ErosUK's Photostream Insta g r a m - @MK1_TOBY

Back to the top
Nice looking car.

Small block from a late Polo by the looks of it. Good little bullet proof engines normally.

Stick some twin carbs on it and enjoy.

If it starts breaking out in rust then you'll have to fix it.

TBH at £2800 I'd be all over it. What have you got to lose? It's probably been a project car and they've finally finished it but don't really want it. I'd also bet they're losing money on it.

Worst comes to worst strip it for parts and you'd make your money back.

Take it to an MOT guy you trust and have them go over it with a fine tooth comb. Might need a few bits but even a 3yr old car will.

If you don't want it then I'll have it! Forget the mileage, with no history you're just buying what you see, a 3 door tin top with no holes in it currently. A shell alone will cost around £1000 and you'll still have welding to do, probably. Plus paint etc etc etc etc. It all adds up. Trust me I know. I now don't open my credit card bills!

Good luck mucker

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Cheers for the advice guys really appreciated I'm getting the car next week now so hope to see some of you guys at the meets 😬😬👍🏻👍🏻 And cheers Ian that's what I was thinking 👌🏻👌🏻

Back to the top
Hey that looks a nice car!

I'm by no means and expert, but when I got my first Mk1 I checked the body over too and it was fine - no rust or scrapes.

However, the steering rack mounts, ball joints and top strut mounts were knackered. Lucky, these were all easy to replace.

Again, I'm no expert, but I believe the steering rack mounts can be a problem with these cars so I'd at least check that out. But otherwise I think it looks pretty good!

Back to the top

meltingdog said

Again, I'm no expert, but I believe the steering rack mounts can be a problem with these cars so I'd at least check that out.

That's because y'all drive on the wrong side of the road so the steering gearbox is mounted backwards and has to work opposite than designed  :)

At least that sounded funnier in my head than on posting.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
I just do hope you weren't blinded by the Bling and you are now the proud owner of a solid Mk1! 🤔😉👍🏼

Sent from my Smartphone 📱

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

meltingdog said

Again, I'm no expert, but I believe the steering rack mounts can be a problem with these cars so I'd at least check that out.

That's because y'all drive on the wrong side of the road so the steering gearbox is mounted backwards and has to work opposite than designed  :)

We were here first!

You lot just did everything the opposite to show your 'independence', just like a teenage kid refusing to tidy his room  :lol:  

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Looks smashing that mate, I bought mine without even seeing it in the flesh, haha, instinct I suppose, I was overseas and seen it on gumtree, rang the guy and said I wanted it, got home and that was that, just go for it 😁🚘

Back to the top

borednow said

Briano1234 said

meltingdog said

We were here first!

You lot just did everything the opposite to show your 'independence', just like a teenage kid refusing to tidy his room  :lol:  

Ian

Oh Ian I so want to join you on 'Pounding' our friend Brian over the pond about for example our English language, the sports we leant them and oh an unbiased political structure but I won't. 😉

Brian you are a valuable member of our club and your knowledge is seriously appreciated, keep it coming my friend. And Brian do join us for this winters 'Guess the Asking Price' competition because you're going to love it! 👍🏼

That said, back on topic and let's see more photos please! 😉 👍🏼

Sent from my Smartphone 📱

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Mike

001.JPG       

Back to the top

meltingdog said

We were here first!

Oh Ian I so want to join you on 'Pounding' our friend Brian over the pond about for example our English language, the sports we leant them and oh an unbiased political structure but I won't.

Sent from my Smartazzphone

I have a thread I did on the language differences, and I can take it and give it as well :) and politics, we all took it from the Vikings and the Allthing.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread. :)

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Yeah I remember reading that post Brian! 😂😉👍🏼

OLD.

Mike

001.JPG       

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.