Skip navigation

Mk 1 Golf gti A917 HPL

Back to the top

Help

Hi I used to own a black mk 1 golf gti with a 16v lump in it. The redg was A917 HPL. I would love to know if anyone has any old pics of it, or knows if it is still around today.

Back to the top

Mk 1 Golf gti A917 HPL

Dubster30 said

Hi I used to own a black mk 1 golf gti with a 16v lump in it. The redg was A917 HPL. I would love to know if anyone has any old pics of it, or knows if it is still around today.

Looks like it's been used until a few years ago. So fingers crossed.

Wes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Hi thanks that's great. I'm sure I saw it pass me around the Cotswolds a few years ago.

Back to the top

Mk 1 Golf gti A917 HPL

Did you put the 2.2 in it?  I would imagine anyone going to this trouble (assuming they have done a proper job of course) would have this tucked away somewhere.

Wes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
No I bought it already converted. It was heavily modified by the previous owner but looked stock apart from some mk2 BBS wheels. It was running a 5 speed montego gearbox (apparently) and a 2.2 16v engine although this was questioned by a couple of experts as they said the engine couldn't be bored out that big. I can only take the previous owners word for it. All I know was it was very quick and was rolling road tested at 187bhp.
I miss it. 😯

Back to the top
I think you can get close to 2.2 by fitting a very long stroke crank, and montegos used what I believe was basically a vw g/box.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.