Skip navigation

New 1982 mk1, different registration problem

Back to the top
Hi all - I've bought another mk1 GTi, but this time without its v5 and without a registration number. It does have a VIN stamped in the right places.

I wrote to the DVLA but they have no record of the VIN on their system, so it hasn't previously been registered with them.

I'm guessing I need to do a V55/5 form for old vehicles that have never been registered, so I've ordered the form to see what that needs. 

Anyone solved a similar problem?

Cheers

Mars red refurb project

Back to the top
I've had similar but not the same

I bought a Rover P4 before Christmas (don't ask!  :lol: ) which fortunately was on it's original reg - and known so has I bought the car from Practical Classics Magazine - they bought it from the original owner.

It had been off the road since 1982 so V5 had to be applied for. However, the only record of the car would have existed on paper in an office in Birmingham - which burnt down in the 90s!

What happened is a DVLA inspector came out to verify that the car was original, what it should be and check engine and chassis numbers looked original.

All went well and after about 2 weeks the V5 arrived.

However, without an original reg number I don't know if that makes it harder, or just that they'll do a similar inspection and issue a period correct reg number?

Keep us updated - I'll be interested to see how it pans-out ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I did this yrs ago with old land rover. Same never being reg on road as it was a site vehicle when I got it I picked it up with a shovel and bucket was baslicly rotten nothing left Not even chassis tag
But I found out one staff used it on road he put rear number plate on it when his broke and there was old tax in window.
I wrote to dvla took photo of it and sent with Peter explaining chassis tag was lost in ground 😑
2 weeks later I had v5 with all details on my name  came back different colour and wheel base was 109 lwb in ground was 88inc came back on
Was so happy tax in window
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.