Skip navigation

Can a 1980 S1 shell be used for an S2 resto?

Back to the top
Hi,
Just wondering is an S1 shell could be a donor for an S2 Golf? The taillights are obviously different but the one on offer has already been converted to the larger light apertures. Also the wings are different for the larger bumper that has the side brackets but is there anything else? Would all the other bits theoretically bolt in or are they fundamentally different? 

I did read something about fuel line routes but am not 100% on this. 

Black 1984 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign.

Back to the top
Problem #1 is the VIN and identity of the car is intimately linked to the shell. If its "parts off the shell" its a different case though.

Problem #2, there's lots of small details here and there, for example S1 cars up to a certain year had small bumpers, then they had big ones. (When I say big, I mean big for a hatchback, not the Clipper style stuff). If you want the S2 to be genuine and correct, you will need to get a good grip on the differences and decide the proper direction (restore to original or just fix etc)

Back to the top
fuel lines would not be a problem in my opion
have set of wheel arch trims couple of bumper
bars front and rear rear does have damage but
is fixable

Do not know a lot but willing to help if possible

1989 Sapphire Blue Mk1 Cabriolet KR
1985 Atlas Grey Mk2 GTI 2.0 ABF

Back to the top

paul_c said

Problem #1 is the VIN and identity of the car is intimately linked to the shell. If its "parts off the shell" its a different case though.

Problem #2, there's lots of small details here and there, for example S1 cars up to a certain year had small bumpers, then they had big ones. (When I say big, I mean big for a hatchback, not the Clipper style stuff). If you want the S2 to be genuine and correct, you will need to get a good grip on the differences and decide the proper direction (restore to original or just fix etc)

Thanks, yeah these are all of the points I'm mulling. As this project is way off in the future I'm trying to plan it as much as reasonably possible. The car is stored a good few miles away and as I'm not able to view it at the moment I haven't had a chance to assess all of the work needed and even when I can it's only best guess until it's had a visit to the blasters.

Regarding your first point I'm trying to work out what is realistically acceptable to retain the integrity/authenticity  of the car baring in mind the sills, lower valance, both wings (already sourced some genuine VW), spare wheel well and probably boot floor and rear end which has a tow bar fixed to it are shot. This is just for starters. 

Regarding your second point this is where it starts to get a little more complicated. As the shell I'm going to view is a 1980, it seems to sit somewhere between the very early swallow tail cars and the later S2 shells. Having googled 1980 golfs, they appeared to be fitted with S2 bumpers but still retained the smaller rear lights.

The original rear light fixing points on the donor shell were changed to S2 when the car had the rear end restored which makes it even more complicated to work this out.

Trying to find the balance between authenticity and budget is a bit of a tightrope to walk! Is it more acceptable to order a van full of replacement repro panels than to utilise a donor that's already lived a life in a few different guises? The project car only has 104,000 on the clock, had been with the same family since new and was purchased at a price giving headroom to put some money into getting it right. Whichever direction I eventually take the car in it will have to be finished to the highest standard within my reach otherwise it will have been a bit of a waste of time and effort. 

Black 1984 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.