Skip navigation

Vauxhall 256mm Front Brake Setup Guide: 1 of 2

Back to the top

Vauxhall 256mm Front Brake Setup Guide: 1 of 2

Thanks to RedBaron on the Caddy forums (well worth a visit), some more details on the Vauxhall 256mm Front Brakes Setup:

http://vwcaddyforum.co…y.php?do=newreply&p=78937

Right, you aksed for it!

The vauxhall/vw hybrid 256 front brake setup. This is best done in combination with the 22mm master cylinder and servo upgrade.

Step 1: Find yourself a old Cavalier/Vectra (EU) or a mk2 astra with a 16v petrol engine and whip the front calipers and caliper carriers off it. Or if you are really flush buy all the bits new (i wasnt, so i didnt!). Mine cost me ?30 from a local breakers.

Step 2: Clean em up and check for leaks and that the dust seals are good to ensure they are safe to use.

Step 3: Go shopping! you will need:

-  Cavalier/astra/vectra Brake flexi hoses (will fit straight onto caddy pipes). Possible to use vw flexis maybe, i didnt check  :angel:
- Vw 256mm disks, i used mk2 golf gti 16v Brembo items from GSF
- Cavalier pads
- new copper washers x 4
- some new carrier bolts as the VAG ones are too small and too short and the Vauxhall ones are too meaty. I was lucky to get some from my local nut and bolt that are perfect, with a smooth shank and short thread that are also very hard (see pic). Ill try to find out the code for them.
- new brake fluid

Step 4: Fit all that stuff in place of the old, you can rescue old flexis and pads from donor car but i dont like to take chances on brakes, so went all new on everything i could.

Step 5: bleed em through and enjoy! Mine have made stopping my caddy much less of brown-trouser experience.

My reply as I can't be bothered to reword it ;)

legend, sweet guide/write up :)

Do you mind if I copy this over to the Mk1 Owners Club? (with reference to yourself and the forum obviously!)

I'm just about to do the conversion as well, bought the calipers, carrier and pads a few months ago.  I'm planning on runing mk1 braided lines, I believe the thread is the same for the std VW fittings as the banjo bolts into the Vaux calipers. Will be able to confirm this soon enough.

The bolt issue, I knew there was the diameter problem but didnt know the length was an issue.  Vauxhaull bolts are 12mm diam, Mk1 golf 10mm. B&Q happen to sell 12mm steel tube with 10mm inner diam, i've chopped some down to amke sleeve to fit in the Vaux carriers, fits perfectly, makes finding bolts easier as all you need is 10mm diam bolts of longer length.  Still eb great to see spec of yours?

using Vaux calipers is a quality plan, I was well pleased when i first heard you could use them, ?30/40 max as theres so many of them around, audi kit seems to be hidiously overpriced at the moment! I've still got my old Vaux forums usernames from my Nova days.

The 256mm brakes come on Calibra 16V, Cavalier 16V, Astra mk1 16V, I bileve also on Astra mk3 16V.  Its also well worth looking on Nova forums as most have been upgraded to this set up at some point and get broken not long after ;)

Another interesting one would be the Vaux V6 set up, they apparently have a phat piston and fit to the vauxhall 16Vs easy enough. So should be a simple, and slightly better version than the G60 set up.

Dave

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
excellent :clap:

I've already done the 256 conversion on my mk1, but if I ever want to do another I'll definately go this way, so much cheaper and easier to get hold of than the audi stuff now!

Thanks for bringing it over :mrgreen:

black 5 door mk1 GTD

mk1 scirocco Gli in bits

Back to the top
Those bolts are called shoulder bolts. All GM calipers up until about 5 years ago are interchangeable so you can have 240, 256, 280, 284, 288, 296 and 308mm discs. Something for everyone.

Back to the top
So basically the same mounting bolt gap and size is used? sweet!

I Assume you would need the Calipers, Carriers and Pad from whatever you used.

Of course disc wise I guess easiest is to use VW spec ones, if 239, 256, or 280.   I  assume you can machine some others  (Rover, Vaux or similar with same PCD) to get the other sizes.

man I would LOVE ABS! anyone done it?

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
Ugghhhhh! Why? I find it really difficult to lockup even in a panic and I've got 256's and discs at the back.

Back to the top
guys iam well impressed wi this thread i would of never though tho u vauxhall stuff on my golf but iam going right down the scrappies the day and gettin me a set of brakes for the golf.........as i say well immpressed

Back to the top
i'll let this topic stay here for a bit until it slides down table, then i'll shift it to the FAQ.

I anyone has any more information on alternative brake conversions let me know, and i'll combine it.

Back to the top
Does anyone know if this Vauxhall conversion will fit under the std Mk1 13" alloys?

Back to the top

spnracing said

Does anyone know if this Vauxhall conversion will fit under the std Mk1 13" alloys?

Wouldn't have thought so… 14 minimum as per the audi caliper/carrier combo…

Megasquirted 1981 Silver 1600 GTI Daily Driver

Still Restoring...

Back to the top
Ok, am moving over to the FAQ section, if anyone has any additions to make let me know and ill get them in :).

See the second thread for how I got on…

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.