Skip navigation

1991 H REG MK1 GOLF GTI CABRIOLET WONT START WHEN IT GETS WARM

Back to the top

IVE RECENTLY BOUGHT A 1991 MK1 GOLF CABRIOLET 1.8GTI ,THE CAR STARTS RUNS VERY SMOOTH COMPARED TO SOME IVE HAD BUT SOON AS IT WARM OR HOT IT WILL NOT RESTART ,UNLESS YOU PULL THE BLUE CLIP OF THE 5TH INJECTOR OR WAIT TILL ITS GONE COLD

MY 1991 MK1 GOLF 1.8 GTI CABRIOLET WILL NOT START WHEN ITS WARM ,IT RUNS PERFECT VERY SMOOTH EVEN WHEN RED HOT BUT WILL NOT RESTART ,IVE NOTICED THAT IF YOU PULL THE BLUE CLIP OF THE 5TH COLD START INJECTOR IT WILL RESTART ,IVE REPLACED THE  ACCUMALATOR WHICH HAS DONE NOTHING ANY HELP ON THIS MATTER ,IT MAY BE THE COLD START IS STAYING ON MAKING IT TO RICH I DONT KNOW A AWFULL LOT ABOUT THIS PROBLEM

Back to the top
a 1991 with CIS?

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
K-jet fuel injection or digifant fuel injection system?

If K-jet leave the 5th injector unpluged… I ran for about 3 years with no 5th injector as I had leaking injectors but I had a problem with lumpy running when cold as to much petrol.

When the engine is hot the 5th injector should not fire, it's controlled by the thermo switch in the flange on the front of head, there is guide in the Haynes manual on testing the switch and 5th injector. Again all k-jet info as I've not "played" much with digifant.

P.S… THERES NO NEED TO SHOUT.  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
I've just been through 10 years of hot start issues!! 

Get the fuel pump checked to make sure it's holding pressure and check the warm up regulator. Get the whole system pressure checked professionally.

Back to the top
if it starts with 5th injector unplugged then either the thermoswitch is dead, the green/white wire from 5th inj to thermoswitch is shorted to ground somewhere, or you have leaky injectors dripping fuel into the cylinders

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.