Skip navigation

1600 or 1800 Carb Engine Golf Clipper 1991

Back to the top

Which Do I have?

Guys, after doing a bit of invest I may have a 1600cc Engine in my Clipper which I believed was an 1800cc. I only had it a year but plans for the restore got shelved as I got deployed overseas for 6 months so only getting back to it now. The code on the block is EG ????? but the V5 states an EX prefix. Being new to the dub scene I an non the wiser! Does anyone who has an 1800 carb Clipper have any pictures of the engine or indeed a confirmed 1600 that I can compare it with? Then I can confirm if I have a 1.6 or 1.8. I'm not bothered either way but it will be nice to know if its had an engine change since new and will help when ordering parts I guess. Many thanks.

Back to the top
the 1.6 and 1.8 carb blocks are the same externally, only way to tell is confirm the engien code on the block. the 1.6 uses the same casting as the 1.8 see, with different internals. so the 1.6 carb lump even has 1.8 in great big numbers round the back, even though it isnt :lol:

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
ah right, I'm with you, I can see how that could be confusing! Maybe I will never know unless I can confirm the engine code or strip the head down! I've got a degree in aviation engines but a simple normally aspirated engine has me bamboozled haha  :lol:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.