Skip navigation

Lawsy family - BLUEY - project 2 tone commences....

Back to the top

Lawsy family - BLUEY - project 2 tone commences....

haha.

anyway back to the car.

it does look very nice sat on those wheels.
and the white walls work rather well too.

Back to the top
looks lovely mate. love the wheels to be honest.

i think a roof rack would look great on it too.

Back to the top

novocaine said

loving it.
rock on the 5 doors. this years must have. :mrgreen:
sooooooooooooo tempted to get mine lower. just cant afford too.

make sure you get yorself along tot he show then mate

rumour has it that there will be a set of coilovers up for grabs in the raffle prizes….

I agree mate, 5dr is the way forward.. Loving this look now

Back to the top

walkerfromwolves said

looks lovely mate. love the wheels to be honest.

i think a roof rack would look great on it too.

roof racks been done to death mate…

had one of crazyquiffs on my other mk1 last year.. the roof is so straight on this it would be a shame to cover up..

Not going for the scene points, doing it ourway and what we like…

Back to the top

Lawsy said

whilst keeping an eye out for doors  :banghead: notice the new scrapes, thansk mr nobody in a supermarket car park  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

You think that's bad, guy at office next to mine has a new 3 series floppy top. Someone had dinged his car with a door - put a small dent in it, then drawn in black felt tip a circle around it, an unhappy face and wrote 'sorry!!' 8O

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
fingers crossed i will be at the gathering mate.
cant get tickets yet as i cant be sure i'm in the country till closer to the date.

you gave me a kick start fella.
just finished the silver on the spare wheel. next up laquer then i can swap with one of the other ones. so tar very much like. :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Bluey looks good & the wheels look top noch….

Are you bringing him to the berkshire meet on the 18th

Cheers

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top

novocaine said

fingers crossed i will be at the gathering mate.
cant get tickets yet as i cant be sure i'm in the country till closer to the date.

you gave me a kick start fella.
just finished the silver on the spare wheel. next up laquer then i can swap with one of the other ones. so tar very much like. :mrgreen:

nice one Dave

Be good if your there mate

5dr's rule!!!!

allana13 said

Bluey looks good & the wheels look top noch….

Are you bringing him to the berkshire meet on the 18th

Cheers

probably not as blueys not taxed at the mo, needs tracking doing badly tho, wheels are now way out.. Probably be in the MK2 for tomorrows meet, good if you can mae it along mate

Back to the top
Will be going to Somerset tomorrow but hopefully should be able to make it.

Cheers :wink:

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
ive got a brown wolfsburg steering wheel that would look good in bluey, and i can bring it too gti fest if interested

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=58122&highlight=

:wink:  :wink:  :wink:

1983(Y) VW GOLF GTi

Banner

Back to the top
Lovely colour ;-)

Is it canyon red?  Mine looks a little less red than yours, might well be the camera or perhaps a bit of fade?

Good work anyway, liking the whitewalls!  :D

Back to the top
not replie don here for a while..

Well as some of you know, we purchasedthe white wall steelies and a lovely porsche interior..

Heres them trial fitted and looking good…

Back to the top
whats happening with bluey then???

no shoes, no chairs? are you having a 60's love in?

:D

ash x

Back to the top
We went to a local show, and did a few miles, got the tracking sorted, but something was missing.. I wasnt 100% convinced on the seats or the look the whitewalls gave…

Here''s some more pics to help you understand.. Yes it looks awesome, but not sure its right for me/us

notice from the side on shots how far back the front seats look, lol joys of being 6'4"….

And then parking nextto bluey's twin

Yes he looks lovely, but with the dents in the bodywork and my style I was doubting the way he looked

We had loads of good feedback from people..

Butin the end the decision was made to go back to standard interior and throw back on the tatty RA's

Back to the top

dope_as said

whats happening with bluey then???

no shoes, no chairs? are you having a 60's love in?

:D

ash x

taking inspiration from yours mate…

just wait for next update

Back to the top
so, those o fyou that have seen bluey close up know he has a few battle scars, so a decisions been made and followin inspiration from my good mate, Ash (dope_as)  we've decided to take as a rolling resto/use moreas a daily too…

Hopefuly we've now sold the GTD so as soon as thats gone we're a 2 car family.. Decision is to use the Passat for the commute 3 days a week and bluey 2 days a week..

so threw a little love at the passat the other day..

Gone from this

to this.. slammed and pimping..

Back to the top

jetpacjimmy said

Lovely colour ;-)

Is it canyon red?  Mine looks a little less red than yours, might well be the camera or perhaps a bit of fade?

Hi mate, paint code on is LD3V  which from lots of searching i beleive to be

Sienna Red LD3V Metallizzato

Back to the top
with the chrome headlight covers how did you fasten them in place. i have some to fit and thought of maybe glue or cable tie to the headlight but just not convinced on how secure they will be, especially now i'm a derv perv  . :roll:  sometimes i reach break-neck speeds of almost 70mph.. :oops:

Mk1 2l TSR G60.  .getting. There twice as fast

Mk1 lhd diesel…….getting. There for half the cost

Back to the top
but yesterday, beautiful weather down our way saw Mrs Lawsy catching soem rays in the garden whilst i got filthy

(sorry, didnt have camera)

We decided to make bluey more presentable and slowly prep whilst we save for a new rear panel to be fitted and then a full paint in original colour, witha  deep deep shine..  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

First job, re-hang exhaust, which when our my size and the crs so low getting uner it isnt easy..

Exhause middle section fell off, so I had to rehang, replace middle support then re-align the rear box as it was knocking lieka knocking whatsit on the the rear beam

So whilst the car was in the air, i got a little carried away!…

startedby reomving the front left wheel, winding down the coilies a few more ntches, then rolled the arch, did the crude way, snip twist and hammer (the wings are all good, but the arched werea little dented and bashed too) so wasnt 100% careful
then  waxoiled the whole inner arch area, very messy, seam sealed the cuts from the arch folding and tidied up some of the scbaby bits around the arch.

Then moved to the rear, removed rear bumper and Wendy gave t a good clean and peanut buttered it which brings back some of the original colour for a while..

so removed the rear quarter trim and liked the look without, plus there was a lot of little scabs and scratches all round the arch, so decision was made, sand, grind them out.. so i got busy, sanded back, wet flatted, filled, sprayed, sanded, wet flat, spray and so on..

the arch was looking good.. Used Red oxide (load sleft from painnting the mk2) as a good base coat on the metal, applied several coats, wet flatted back smooth and applied satin black top coat for now untill i cant get some paint to match..

Then started on the rear, removed all lights, as you can see in one of the pics, there was a dent from previous owner under the number plate, so this got the treatment, saned back all rust to clean metal, did this for nearly the whole rear panel, shaped and filled the dent (car will need a full rear panel in time) , a lot of surface rust was starting to form around the number plate lights so this got strippe dbck as well.

Then all remaing surfaces were trated with Hammerite Kurust (bloody good stuff) then filled, smoothed, primed, red oxided, wet flatted, satin black, more red oxide and a scumble coat of satin black, does look too bad next to cars colour..

The worst part of therear panel was the 2 bottom corners where the panels meet,thiswas rather messy, so again, as much rusted metal was removed as possible and the rest was given the sme treatment as above - sand - Kurust, paint, filler, paint (I know filler is a cop out, but i cant weld) but this is to get bluey looking better till we can afford to have a full rear panel fitted and then a good paint job

I then took a little longer putting all back together as I want to keep him as a daily too..

Sorry tho guys, didnt take camera out with me I just cracked on!!

Going to get some pics of him later today tho!!

Rear seats were filthy, so have taken a hot rod stance and just covered with an old blanket, this one was courtesy of Wendy's granny and looks good - front seats gone back in for now, and i think they look good -

now sitting a tad lob sided as I've yet to drop the right side of the car to match the left (about 10mm difference - ha ha yes i know when i get in it that'll level out so no fat bloke jokes needed)and the BBS Ra's are back on.. Which i do think suit this car really well..

So we're out n about today and hopefuly get a few snaps of bluey!!

We've sourced both passanger doors, I just need a good drivers door if anyone has one, please let me know

here's just a quick family snapfrom last night!!

Back to the top

mk1jim said

with the chrome headlight covers how did you fasten them in place. i have some to fit and thought of maybe glue or cable tie to the headlight but just not convinced on how secure they will be, especially now i'm a derv perv  . :roll:  sometimes i reach break-neck speeds of almost 70mph.. :oops:

Jim, I had to slightly bend them to get them to follow the curveof the headlights, then replaced the grilles outer edges over as normal and using a little force they've stayed on, but i wanted the sleepy look so angled to the edges too..

These are weird when driving at nightas it makesa big difference to lighting up the road, aims the light down a little more, like drivinga  modern car with good headlights now

Have done full motorway speeds with them on and had no issues at all.. Its just funny as my washer jets work, so they stop the spray well  :mrgreen:
There are too many online users to list.