Skip navigation

Bit Of Mirror Polishing PG39

Back to the top

My Rivage Restoration

Took my weekly trip to the bodyshop earlier today………

And we have a bit of colour on the old girl.

All i can say is WOW… The colour looked amazing  8)

Especially to what i remember the 20 year old paint looked like.

I got next week off work so im going down Monday / Tuesday to undo the roof (couldnt do it today as i had to pick the misses up from work)

Anyway heres some pictures i took.

Excuse the poor phone quality.

Last edit: by BigNormRivage

Back to the top
wow mate, pics look great, hope you are happy with it, cant wait to see it when its done :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Looking good, Nice to see it being brought back to its former Glory!

1992 Clipper Cabby - Love VW!

Back to the top

richyhill said

wow mate, pics look great, hope you are happy with it, cant wait to see it when its done :-)

Cheers Rich.

Yeah so far im really happy with it.

The pictures dont do the colour any justice.

Back to the top

g60bron said

Looking good, Nice to see it being brought back to its former Glory!

Well thats the plan.

Once its home the front seats are coming back out to have some adjustments made.

Back to the top
Had some goodies turn up yesterday and today.

Bought some stickers which were missing.

Also bought a new black surround that goes around the fuel cap.

A new pair of wing indicators.

Also had a new gasket kit for the arches and sideskirts.

Hopefully have another delivery tomorrow or monday ;-)

Last edit: by BigNormRivage

Back to the top
do tell us where you got the rubber trim from.....need em myself

Restored 1961 Mk1 Mini Misses drives a 10 plate bmw mini cooper d sports pack Me drives a 61 plated C220 CDI Restored 1960\'s forecourt petrol pump 1964 P4 Rover 110 resorted by my dad 23 years ago On the look out for LBD 376Y

Back to the top

Mortz said

do tell us where you got the rubber trim from…..need em myself

PM coming your way in a min.

Back to the top
You will need some double sided tape for the kit seal or it will slide about all over the place and not sit right.

Cheers

Chortle

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Bonding Glue will also do the trick…..light application with a cotton bud will do the trick….re stuck mine back on not moved an inch…if the body shop are putting these on for you they will know the score….the originals would have been stuck on the same way…probably not using a cotton bud though!…..can't think of the name of the glue…think I have since thrown the pot out

Restored 1961 Mk1 Mini Misses drives a 10 plate bmw mini cooper d sports pack Me drives a 61 plated C220 CDI Restored 1960\'s forecourt petrol pump 1964 P4 Rover 110 resorted by my dad 23 years ago On the look out for LBD 376Y

Back to the top
Cheers for that Carl.

Thats going to be a fidley job.

Back to the top

Mortz said

Bonding Glue will also do the trick…..light application with a cotton bud will do the trick….re stuck mine back on not moved an inch…if the body shop are putting these on for you they will know the score….the originals would have been stuck on the same way…probably not using a cotton bud though!…..can't think of the name of the glue…think I have since thrown the pot out

Ill drop them off to Mal when the times right then :-)

Back to the top
They were origionaly fitted with tape Afaik.
Will have a look on ETKA.

Back to the top
Yes please do correct me if I am wrong

Back to the top
Not that it matters, so long as they don't move lol.
Dek had some and they were a nightmare to fit.
As these are a sillicone rubber not the hard plastic like the origionals they were flexing all over the place due to the lack of rigidity.

I know mine are stuck on with double sided tape, to the cill cover itself, then mounted onto the car.

Would using bonding adhesive cause an issue should you need to take them off, for repair etc.
Just a thougt.

Back to the top
When I peeled the seals before paint they had a light coating of glue this may well have been a thin layer of sticky tape…I used the same colour / texture of glue to re-apply…perhaps the word "bonding" maybe up for interpretation….I know mine will come off again with no drama..

Back to the top
I think these will be a bit trickier to fit as you said Carl due to them being flexable.

When you say they should be fitted with tape, do you mean the sort of tape used for number plates?

Back to the top
Bonding glue to me interprets to super glue type of adhesive.
All I can add is mine are attatched with a tape.
VW list a butyl adhesive/sealing strip.
AKL 450 005 05.

This is listed under the arch trim covers.
It doesn't  say specifically for the cills. You can give VW a call to see what they say.

There is a double sided tape listed for the doors to hold the plastic membranes in place.

AKL 434 019 25.

That is more like the stuff on mine.

I am sure you can buy thin trim tape any way.

Back to the top
loving the details provided in this build thread and the paint job looks top notch, I can't wait to see this all complete again.

Madone with the two Cabs 82 (UK RHD) and 85 (US LHD) (92 sold)

Back to the top
This is looking fantastic Ceri, I've been dropping in on the thread to catch up with the progress. The stickers and trim kit will be the icing on the cake.   :D  

I bought some new side skirt seals from Chubbnut - they are now being reproduced by VW Classic Parts and they come with double sided 3M tape already applied. As Chortle said, they stick to the side skirt and then once fitted are held both by the tape and the pressure of the skirt pressing against the car body. You could use tape or otherwise a thin smear of glue will be just as good.

Keep up the good work mate.  8)
There are too many online users to list.