Skip navigation

1983 GX Project

Back to the top

1983 GX Project

Hi,

Looking really clean!!
I really like the blanking plate above your heater switches… where did you get it?

Back to the top
Cheers mate, getting there ever so slowly. Partly my fault cause I keep delaying myself in buying bits I dont need right now :P

Haha thanks for noticing the blanking plate, I assumed most people hated it XD basically

1. I bought a black blanking plate and mk2 golf volkswagen badge off ebay
2. Cut the badge in half, filed the edges down so it looked like they were always meant to be in two peices, then finished in back to black
3. Drilled locating holes in the blanking plate that correspond to the badge locating pins. (drill slightly smaller than the pin size)
4. Clip badge pieces in place

Cost a fiver in total and I just thought it looked better than a plain plate, I was gonna carbon it but spent my carbon skinning kit money on the momo team XD

Back to the top
Ingenious!

Might have a go at that, where did you get a plain blanking plate for sensible money?

Back to the top
Haha cheers mate, yeah go for it its well easy. Erm i used this one

Ebay item number : 251170833261 (£4.25 inc p+p, thought i paid £3.50)
The badge i got for like a pound posted

Back to the top

Progress

Thought It'd be a cool idea to update this, basically due to uni commitments taking over I havent had much time to work on the Golf so my plan of getting the engine in before Christmas isnt going to happen.

However I got down to the workshop yesterday and continued with the engine bay preparation so to give you guys an idea i started with this

and im now at this stage

The plan is to degrease it again cause its still pretty dirty, cut out/treat the rust, sand it down and then spray it satin black with vht paint (as the engine is going to be done in silver). Itll never be PVW perfect as ill be spraying it with rattle cans etc but ill settle for it being presentable enough to be able to open the bonnet without people bursting out laughing :P

Other stuff ive been getting on with is gathering more parts such as the fuel pump (using a webcon fuel pump instead of a facet and filter king), modified water outlet pipe (Bogg Brothers), a top fill radiator (from Euro Car parts) and a Porsche oil cap (which required taking apart in order to get it to sit at the right orientation on the rocker cover)

hopefully next time i update ill have the bay painted, anyway have a good christmas and new year everyone

Fez

Back to the top
Painted most of the bay today, I used around 3 cans of Simoniz Very High Temperature spray paint and I'm quite pleased with the results. The cost of painting the bay so far has been around £30 so I'm hoping it lasts but I suppose I wont find out till Its been running a while.
Anyway I still have the scuttle bit and the supports behind the grill to finish off but I'm gonna brush paint them as I can't deal with masking it all up again (Mainly because I'm using Halfords masking tape which refuses to stick to anything)

Hopefully I'll have the engine in soon :D

Back to the top
how's this badboy looking Fez??

'83 :) Golf 1.5 GX - weekender - in pics: 1983 Mk 1 Golf GX - a set on Flickr
'88 T25 camper 2.1 - in pics: Gina the van's renovation - a set on Flickr

Back to the top
Not much better from when I last posted unfortunately mate :( 
I've bought most of the bits to finish off but I'm waiting for some real progress before I update this.
Do you still need those wing mirrors?

Back to the top
boo. here's to a successful summer of building her up!
would still be interested in o/s mirror at some point…

also in desperate need of one of the clips holds the chrome hubcaps on but you're not on original steels are ya… catch up soon chap!

'83 :) Golf 1.5 GX - weekender - in pics: 1983 Mk 1 Golf GX - a set on Flickr
'88 T25 camper 2.1 - in pics: Gina the van's renovation - a set on Flickr

Back to the top
Yeah fingers crossed.
I should be going down to the workshop sometime next week so I'll bring it up for you and I might still have my hubcaps in the shed so I'll have a look and pm you about the lot of it  :thumbs:
There are too many online users to list.